Adding users to my account

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding users to my account

I would have thought this would be a really easy thing to do but I've been searching Skype Help for waaaay too long with no success. I also looked into Skype Manager but that looked much too involved for my needs, so...

How can I allow someone in another location on another computer to use my Skype account? I would also like to be able to CANCEL that permission at any time, and/or maybe add other Users also?

TIA

Garpster
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 6 (712 Views)

Re: Adding users to my account

Garpster wrote:

I would have thought this would be a really easy thing to do but I've been searching Skype Help for waaaay too long with no success. I also looked into Skype Manager but that looked much too involved for my needs, so...

How can I allow someone in another location on another computer to use my Skype account? I would also like to be able to CANCEL that permission at any time, and/or maybe add other Users also?

TIA

If you are just talking about a normal Skype account without entering into Skype Manager, I'm not sure this will work the way you want.  The main issue is that a normal Skype account has a single Skype account name and password.  If you allow someone else to use your account name/password combination, they could potentially lock you out of the account by changing your password.  Your only recourse there is to change the password so that all others who may be sharing your account name/password combination no longer have the password for your account. 

If you have a subscription, the Fair Use Policy related to subscriptions talks about a prohibition on "Sharing subscriptions between users whether via a PBX, call centre, computer or any other means".  You could approach what Skype could interpret as a violation of that policy, or the general Terms of Use.  I'm not a lawyer, nor am I a Skype employee, so please don't take this as the official word from Skype nor as any sort of legal advice.  It really looks like it might be worth the time to explore Skype Manager for the control you want to have over anyone else who may need to use Skype - but not use their own accounts.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 660
Message 2 of 6 (708 Views)

Thanks for your detailed response.

Wow! Who'da thought it would be so difficult to have someone use my Skype account to make the occasional cold call for me? Cheesh!!

How about if I open another account just for that purpose? If someone locks me out of it and squanders my $5-10 credit, no harm done, right? I suppose more than one person can't use an account at the same time, right?

TIA

Garpster
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (691 Views)

Hi

Another idea I can offer.

Let the other person set up their own Skype account and share the password with you.

Set up a debit card (for you) with your local bank and with the bank account for the debit card, always keep the balance at zero balance. Only top up the debit card bank account with the amount you want to use to top up Skype.

Now you use your dedit card to top up credit to the account.

Your dedit card details are not shown in the account, only the last four digits.

If you are locked out of the account at any time, just contact Skype support to have the debit card details removed.

Thi idea does mean to have to set up a special bank account with a debit card, but at least it may be the easiest way to control the Skype account and any other payments you may need to do too.

I personally use a debit card with my local bank and the account is usually balanced on or very close to zero, as this is my security as opposed to a Cedit Card system.  As you may know, if there is no money in the account, a debit card will decline a payment.

Steve.

sawadee
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 83
Message 4 of 6 (688 Views)

Garpster wrote:

Thanks for your detailed response.

Wow! Who'da thought it would be so difficult to have someone use my Skype account to make the occasional cold call for me? Cheesh!!

How about if I open another account just for that purpose? If someone locks me out of it and squanders my $5-10 credit, no harm done, right? I suppose more than one person can't use an account at the same time, right?

TIA

Your last comment is pretty much like the suggestion by "sawadee".  If you are going to limit the amount of Skype Credit to a few dollars/euros/etc., that is one way to minimize your exposure.   Although you can have more than one computer or device signed into Skype at the same time, you'd only want to make use of any one at a time.  Don't try making calls from more than one computer or device at the same time through Skype. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 660
Message 5 of 6 (684 Views)

Thank you for the great inputs to my question. Looks like setting up a separate limited-funds account is my best way to go, then sharing the password with those I want to use it, which will prolly only be one at a time. I can change the password when/if there's a change of user.

Thanks again for your help.

Frank 

Garpster
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 6 (665 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling