why won't Skype wifi work over my home wifi

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: why won't Skype wifi work over my home wifi

You do not have to connect to Skype Access. Its a totally different feature as I described below.

You have to double check your router, firewall and antivirus, to make sure its not blocking Skype after the update.
0 Kudos
Slava
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1406
Message 11 of 28 (5,176 Views)

so i cannot skype from my house? because its freee????? bologna.. :speechless:

0 Kudos
anicole727
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 28 (5,024 Views)

You do not need to uninstall, what you have, simply install over what you have, with this:

At the moment the quickest method to fix this is to install the beta version from here: http://skype.com/go/getskype-beta

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 13 of 28 (5,021 Views)

Re: Because skype software is not user friendly enough, and confuses newbies.

[ Edited ]

"Skype Access (Wi-Fi)" issues that so many people are having, are not merely a misunderstanding. It's a software defect, for I too had the problem of not being able to connect, because not even the error message gives any clue, that "Skype Access" is not relevant to how home desktop computer users would normally connect to their own home network.

Don't blame the users, but tell software support to fix the software, and make it less confusing. Maybe rename the menu item to something like "Skype Access to Pay Public Wi-Fi Networks..." or "Pay Public Wi-Fi Networks..." or "Pay Public Wi-Fi..."

Or put in a more descriptive error message, so that we new users will know, that isn't what we needed to choose anyway.

0 Kudos
pronatalist
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 14 of 28 (4,999 Views)

Re: Because skype software is not user friendly enough, and confuses newbies.

I still don't quite understand how exactly the issue appears. Could someone, who experienced it, write a step by step story of what is happening exactly?

If you have a computer with internet connection and run Skype on it, there must be no Skype WiFi dialogue window/popup whatsoever. Skype will simply go online and that's it.
0 Kudos
Slava
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1406
Message 15 of 28 (4,977 Views)

I have a laptop that is connected by wifi in my home.  I have downloaded the latest version of skype.  My problem is when I go to add a contact it says I am not on internet.  I have adjusted wi-fi to both public and home networks, nothing works.  Can anyone help me?

liltroller
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 16 of 28 (4,805 Views)

I have the same problim i have the new version of skype but when i try to log in it say's i have no internet conection on my laptop (i use the WIFI of my router)
some one help

lots of thanks,

Jack Benton.

JackBenton
Novel Tourist
Message 17 of 28 (4,618 Views)

[ Edited ]

TL: DR - Try a quick computer restart just to refresh the internet connection then open your Skype App, log out of the app then log back in. After dinking around with connections and forums for over an hour and changing nothing, this worked for me. (why didn't I try this FIRST...)

Here's a step by step for the moderator:

March 9th 2012: I used Skype on my MacMini to make a few phone calls as I've been doing for years. The WiFi network I'm connected to has been up and running, un-changed for at least 2 weeks. I am submiting this post via the connected internet on the same computer... Everything worked like it always has.

March 10th 2012: I turn on Skype and my status is inexplicabley "offline". I try to make a call and I get "You have lost internet connectivity or your status is Offline. Please check your connection or change your status and try again." The internet and WiFi are unchanged from yesterday when I was making calls but today I cannot connect or change my status to online.

I believe a number of people are experiencing a similar problem and are trying to correct it via the poorly described "Skype Access" feature. I understand Skype Access is just for public wifi hotspots, regardless, trying to connect via the Skype Access gets me a similar "cannot connect message", I cannot explain why Skype suddenly stopped connecting to my home WiFi network.

edit: *fixed! See the 'Too Long: Didn't Read' at the top.

Geoffr0y
Novel Tourist
Message 18 of 28 (4,344 Views)

Same problem.  I have 2 home computers - both still connected to the internet but can't change status to online for Skype on either computer, tried logging out and back in but neither computer can log back into Skype?!?!?!  Still working on my phone - how do I fix this on my computers?

0 Kudos
hcwilson
Novel Tourist
Message 19 of 28 (4,268 Views)

I dont get it ): i try to send an IM and after about 2hrs. it still hasnt sent?mThen I look at the Skype wifi and it says it cant connect with my public wifi? is this supposed to happen? PLEASE HELP

0 Kudos
gabe23elite
Novel Tourist
Message 20 of 28 (4,028 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling