Re: two of my 4 computers have been hit by a hoax ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

two of my 4 computers have been hit by a hoax virus attaching to skype

my firewall treated it and deleted it on reboot BUT the skype shortcut was compromised and it was

necessary to uninstall and re-install the product.

the following data came from my sister's laptop this morning:

Source Address:  192.168.135.49.211  Destination Address: 67.148.47.27.80
tcp (flags)  Outgoing 09-23-2013  sis's laptop got hit at 09:34 GMT - the desktop just got hit.

c:\program files (x86)\skype\phone\skype.exe  hoax deleted on reboot
hoax.win32 archsms bfaax

rlynne9
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 4 (480 Views)

Re: two of my 4 computers have been hit by a hoax virus attaching to skype

My laptop was also infected with this virus after and update as well. I would like to know how this virus got there.

Slikrapids
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 4 (418 Views)

I've got about the same problem on my job laptop. My antivirus, Kaspersky SonicWall, detected the "Hoax.Win32.ArchSMS.bfaax" virus and deleted skype.exe. 

Skype guys - why is this happening and how can it be fixed?

LarsR
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (375 Views)

See my reply here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/malware-attacks-my-win-7-laptop-via-skype/m-p/1...

It is most likely a false positive triggered by an updated definition, since the alternative doesn't make sense.  Report the false positive to your particular AntiVirus company and keep your AntiVirus definitions up to date.  You can also use a different version of Skype that may not trigger it or just exclude Skype.exe from being scanned by your AntiVirus program.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1490
Message 4 of 4 (303 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling