cost of skype wifi access

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cost of skype wifi access

Cannot find cost information for Skype wifi access.  (Or a list of access partners).  Any help?

WHNevers
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 1 of 12 (17,724 Views)

Re: cost of skype wifi access

I need to know if inet is available thru skype, if where(wifi) how do I get it?  Is there an 800 ph # top actually talk to someone?

trex
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 12 (17,713 Views)

is there an 800 # to reach anyone?
trex
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 12 (17,712 Views)

did you get a response? I am looking for the same info!
yc
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 12 (17,587 Views)

The WiFi is just to get Internet access.  It doesn't involve Skype.  The cost is between you and whomever supplies the Wifi "hotspot".  It could be yourself as you use your own WiFi-enabled home router.  It could be your employer as you use the company's WiFi router.  It could be Starbuck's WiFi router or the WiFi router at the executive lounge at the airport.  The Skype software client could be on your home desktop PC, on your laptop PC, on your iPhone, or on your Android smartphone, or on a WiFi cordless phone.  That software client then calls Skype over the Internet to establish an IP connection for voice data packets to flow over the Internet between itself and other software clients.

TimDan

TimDan
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 5 of 12 (17,515 Views)

"Skype WiFi", OTOH, is a way to pay for that WiFi Internet access by using Skype credits to pay WiFi providers who have signed up as Skype Partners, and the Skype WiFi app makes connecting to the hotspot a simple single click.  It's pretty expensive, though, at about 14 cents/minute.  Here is a URL of the screen shot of the iPhone Skype WiFi app:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/skype-wifi/id444529922

When the app is running and it's within range of a Skype WiFi hotspot (Boingo in this case), the offer pops up and you can click to connect via Boingo's WiFi service.

TimDan

TimDan
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 6 of 12 (17,508 Views)

hello, can you tell me if there is a way to surch for wifi hot spots in a certain area.
bill-deb
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (17,363 Views)

what are the rates of skype wifi here in the philippines when i connect 

taftit8
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (15,485 Views)

so is Boingo one of the Providers on the list of providers that was asked for in the original question?

INO_KOL
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 30
Message 9 of 12 (11,802 Views)

same question

Did Skype negotiate a rate with the local wifi providers? What's the deal

Tramm
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 12 (1,383 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling