Re: can online number receive SMS message?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

I find it hard to believe that Skype is so backwards as not to have a receive text message. And the outrageous price for outbound text. I am surprised any one is using Skype for sms at all.
0 Kudos
gmnowels
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 21 of 42 (3,791 Views)

gmnowels wrote:
I find it hard to believe that Skype is so backwards as not to have a receive text message. And the outrageous price for outbound text. I am surprised any one is using Skype for sms at all.

Although some countries have a mechanism where non-mobile phones can receive SMS messages, this is not common around the world.  Skype's Online Numbers are not classified as "mobile" numbers, so they aren't set up to receive SMS.  Skype is also at the mercy of its partners in the various countries that provide the Online Numbers, in what can - or can't - be done with them. 

As for Skype's "outrageous price for outbound text", my mobile carrier (T-Mobile in the US) charges me 20 US cents for any SMS I send to a foreign country.  For many countries, Skype would cost me less than that.  If I went through the process where SMS messages sent from Skype carried my US mobile number (so replies would come right back to my mobile phone), this could be a good alternative to what T-Mobile wants to charge me for the same messages.  So saying that Skype's SMS rates are "outrageous" may be a bit of an exaggeration, at least for some destinations. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
0 Kudos
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 563
Message 22 of 42 (3,776 Views)

[ Edited ]

The assertion about Google Voice ability to send and receive text messages is a little bit of an exaggeration, too: it is only supported in USA. They say it openly in Google Voice help, here: http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=117527.

Skype offers online numbers in most (but not all) countries, and in order to get that, they must have good relationships with all foreign telecom operators and regulators, which is far from being pure technical matters.

How's about that: I know one country where IP telephony used to be ILLEGAL. Yes, you could get arrested there for operating a gateway between Skype and domestic phone network. But the rules could change for you if you enforce reply to Skype texts as normal international SMS, because you will: a) make job easier for authorities who want to know what their people chat about overseas and with whom; b) give national operators extra profits "out of nowhere" with increased volume of international texting.

Enough for a reason?

I think, the answer to "why not yet?!?!" question is "because it costs money to send/receive even a byte, and stakeholders are not willing to spend a penny without expecting HUGE returns on investment". No surprise there's little insensitive to move it forward.

So... don't blame developers, it is not a technical problem. And, FYI, the time when developers really decided on functionality, is OVER, long ago. It is now up to business people, shareholders and such, to chose what users will get and when. If you want them to listen, speak money: how many MILLIONS of $$$ will go to competitors if users don't get what they want?

The point is: do not expect two-way texting with Skype any soon, because there is no business reason for it. Ditch SMS, go mobile Email.

If you manage to find a really working service, providing voice and two-way texting with GSM for any (or most) countries, I will be very surprised. In this unlikely case, post it here, for Skype's shame and users' delight.

Thx for reading!

OneMoreUser
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 23 of 42 (3,561 Views)

I understand what is being said here but since my calls and sms are only within the US it really does not make sense to continue using skype (especially to pay for a subscription and online phone number) when they do not provide SMS.  For video calling skype still is great but I don't need to pay for that.  

0 Kudos
chrokeva
Novel Adventurer
Message 24 of 42 (3,553 Views)

That's correct. If I were just starting using computer to call/text ordinary phones in USA today, I would go Google Voice without doubt. Google will eventually turn into the same monster, but this is some years ahead, so you have time to enjoy the best days.

I think it may be a good idea for you to not to start with Skype, and convince every your new contact to do the same, for the reasons you know now. I think Skype had passed a tipping point in popularity growth, so now they seem to focus on harvesting rather than seeding, which means they do not need to care about users as much as they did when they were just a startup, first of its kind.

And, FYI, Skype video is only free in 1-to-1 sessions, for a group video you have to pay.

0 Kudos
OneMoreUser
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 25 of 42 (3,540 Views)

[ Edited ]

I want a refund. I just wasted $80 for an online number so that I can send SMS's but not receieve any replies !!!!! USELESS

No attempt made by Skype to inform people of this fact before they go ahead and purchase. Only afterwards when I got no replies and after wading through the forums did I find this out. DISGRACEFUL UNETHICAL ...............

0 Kudos
vigilante3
Casual Adventurer
Message 26 of 42 (3,265 Views)

I need this feature too. without it skype online number has no sense.

0 Kudos
modern_sky_ange
Casual Tourist
Message 27 of 42 (3,220 Views)

vigilante3 wrote:

I want a refund. I just wasted $80 for an online number so that I can send SMS's but not receieve any replies !!!!! USELESS

No attempt made by Skype to inform people of this fact before they go ahead and purchase. Only afterwards when I got no replies and after wading through the forums did I find this out. DISGRACEFUL UNETHICAL ...............

If you just purchased the Online Number, you could attempt to contact customer service in an attempt to cancel the number and request a refund of that purchase.  No guarantees there.

As for your accusations of Skype being "disgraceful unethical" (I did not render those words in caps, intentionally), did you read through the "Online Number" link at the bottom of this web page for a description of what Skype's Online Numbers provide before you made your purchase?  Nowhere on that page does it make any reference to Online Numbers being capable of receiving SMS messages.  In fact, if you click on the "Sending SMS" link at the bottom of this page, you can see a reference:

"Caller Identification

Set your mobile number as your caller identification when you send SMS texts from Skype so people know they're from you."

(I added the bold font for emphasis)

No mention of the Online Numbers here, either.  This is, unfortunately, the way it has been for many years, and it has all been present on Skype's web site for at least the past 4 1/2 years I have been a paying user of Skype.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 563
Message 28 of 42 (3,209 Views)

I followed your advice and was given a refund via the online help, so I'm grateful for your post and happy with Skype again.

I really feel though that it should be made clearer to subscribers of online numbers the limitations that are associated with it's use. I am clearly not the only person who has made this "mistake".

However, 10/10 for the customer service, once I was able to find it.

0 Kudos
vigilante3
Casual Adventurer
Message 29 of 42 (3,194 Views)

And please Skype.............. do something to enable us to receieve an SMS from someone's cell phone, there is clearly a demand/need for this.
0 Kudos
vigilante3
Casual Adventurer
Message 30 of 42 (3,193 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling