Why can't I receive sms on skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Why can't I receive sms on skype?

I paid for skype credit specifically so that I could send and recieve texts.  Why can't people return skype texts?  I would not have paid for the service if I knew it was only for sending, since you can send text messages for free online!

elienos
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 22
Message 1 of 32 (20,169 Views)

Re: Why can't I receive sms on skype?

Is there nothing through Skype that allows us to reply to SMS' we have received from a Skype account..?
dewiev
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 32 (20,078 Views)

I also want to know the answer to this question. I'm willing to buy a Skype ONLINE NUMBER if it means that I can recieve return SMS.

fmarinescu
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 32 (18,677 Views)

fmarinescu wrote:

I also want to know the answer to this question. I'm willing to buy a Skype ONLINE NUMBER if it means that I can recieve return SMS.

You can't receive SMS messages with Skype's Online Numbers. 

In most countries, these Online Numbers are either "landline" or some other special Voice-over-IP class of number, not a mobile number.  If you have a mobile number set up as Caller ID with your Skype account, SMS messages can be sent from Skype and carry that mobile number as the "sender" of the message.  Replies would then go to the mobile number, not to Skype.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 607
Message 4 of 32 (18,675 Views)

Is there any word of being able to receive a text on skype in the near future?  I don't see the point of sending a text if the other party can't respond to it.  

My situation is I need to be able to send and receive text messages on my mobile phone, but using my work landline (actually VOIP work number) as the caller ID, as my clients don't have access to my personal mobile number.  Any ideas or work arounds out there to accomplish this (in skype or otherwise)?  Thanks in advance...

NLProp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 32 (17,345 Views)

There's a technical reason for not being able to receive sms on Skype.

Personally I look at it this way: If it was possible, I'm sure that Skype would implement this service into the product.

Good luck!

skakskype
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 57
Message 6 of 32 (15,706 Views)

Thank you.  We look forward to being able to do this in the future...

NLProp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 32 (15,579 Views)

I have the same problem with you and I really don't get it. Why do we send a messge without receiving their responses? I am very confused about that and I think I waste money for sending those messages, especially they are sending to another country. And the introdution doesn't include that we can't receive our sms. I feel bad about that.

weicima
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 32 (15,556 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi weicima

Why can't receive we sms on Skype? Well - can, but only on the mobile phone.

We just need to add our own phone number in Skype.

Skype > Preferences > Messaging

On Skype for Macintosh, you can reach the Preferences easily by pressing ⌘-,  (Command - Comma)

In the Skype Preference-bar Messaging, insert your telephone number so when people reply to your sms'es (sent from Skype), you will receive the sms on your cellphone.

Good luck!   :(y):

How to pay for this (free) service ?

If this answer was helpful, please mark it with Kudos.   

If the issue is resolved, please mark it with solution

This will help other users find this answer more easily. 

Thanks in advance!

skakskype
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 57
Message 9 of 32 (15,523 Views)

I don't believe that for a second. Why isn't Skype Tech Support responding in this forum?
dougm1
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 10 of 32 (7,852 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling