Re: Skype WiFi on a Laptop - Problems

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype WiFi on a Laptop - Problems

Hi. I am trying to use "Skype WiFi" in the UK prior to using it for real whilst travelling, but so far I cannot get it to work.  I have the latest version of Skype, I have Skype WiFi enbaled under the Tools menu and I have tried to use numerious supposedly compatable WiFi Hotspots (mainly BTOpenzone), but so far without luck.

What happens is:

1) I open Skype and try and sign in - this is before I have connected to the hotspot (as per the instructions on the Skype website.  This feels odd as without an internet connection I am unsure how it will authenticate.

2) I then connect to the hotspot and then wait.  i do not attempt to open a browser to get to a logon screen as I believe that Skype WiFi should do this and deal with the payment and authentication.

3) After a while of Skype attempting to connect I get an "Unable to connect" message in Skype.

Can anyone help point out what i am doing wrong?

Many Thanks.

Sam

Samyjames85
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (2,858 Views)

[ Edited ]

Moved.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1404
Message 2 of 6 (2,851 Views)

hi
mosatasaalon
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (2,625 Views)

Prrsonally I'd sign into the hotspot and get the wifi connection first. But some providers dont allow more than web surfing as the bandwith for video calling is much greater. I found this out in the US when travelling. 

Posted from Samsung GT-P5100
KillerHeelsUK
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 41
Message 4 of 6 (852 Views)

In order to use Skype WiFi:

1. In computer WiFi settings connect to a hotspot
2. Open Skype
3. You will be prompted that Skype WiFi is available here
4. At this point, log into Skype
5. You will see per-minute price and option to Connect to the internet via Skype WiFi
6. If you connect, your computer will now have internet access
7. Do not forget to disconnect from Skype WiFi once you are done
Slava
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1379
Message 5 of 6 (793 Views)

i cant figure out how to do the wifi for skpe amd i need help figuring it out. someome please help me

arianaitor
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (168 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling