Skype Home not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Home not working

Hi...I have a laptop and I have had problems with skype home in the past, but not it will not work at all. It keep spinning. 

I am using windows 7 professional. Last nite I used piriform defraggler instead of the one built into my computer and now skype home won't work. I don't know if that is the problem or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Faith

faitht
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 19 (1,084 Views)

Re: Skype Home not working

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6057
Message 2 of 19 (1,069 Views)

I am using IE 10

faitht
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 19 (1,065 Views)

Try first this:

Open Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> General. In the section “Browsing history” press the “Settings” button and in the next window the “View files” button. Delete all files from the Temporary Internet Files folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 19 (1,060 Views)

Hi ruwim,

I deleted the temporary internet files. Skype home is still spinning.

Faith

faitht
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 19 (1,046 Views)

Try to reset all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 19 (1,043 Views)

Okay I got skype home back, but lost all my facebook contacts. Only got 290 back when I have over 3,000. Nobody picture is showing above and I can't upload my picture from skype. I can't miniumize skype.

It's a mess.

Faith

faitht
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 19 (1,039 Views)

Okay I apologize for my last comments. My picture was still there and most of my facebook friends were all there except for the new ones I added.

I did figure out how to minimumize the screen. It was filling my whole laptop screen.

The only problem now is the empty faces above the skype home. Will those fill up as I chat with people?

Faith

faitht
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 19 (1,036 Views)

Yes, they will. However, you can also try to restore all your chat and contact data by moving the main.db file back to the new %appdata%\Skype folder.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-Issues-with-Old-Skype/m-p/1654742#M153652

This, however, implies that the problems with your Home page were not caused by corrupted main.db database file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 19 (1,033 Views)

Okay thanks for all your help! Right now I don't need my old chats or anything else, but in case I do I will 

keep this information.

Have a great day!

Faith

faitht
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 19 (1,029 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling