Re: Skype Click to call interferes with ClipBoard

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Click to call interferes with ClipBoard

I have found the strange behavior that as soon as Click to call has recognized a phone number (be it in IE or FF) on a webpage, it disables functionality of the clipboard: when trying to copy/paste within an MS Office program, only the text is copied and all the formatting info or the original formula in Excel is not copied anymore.

For that reason I had to disable and remove Skype CtC (I have version 5.10.0.9560). Problem is solved now, but nice feature of Skype is gone.

JeanGuillaume
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 22 (5,900 Views)

I ran into this problem with one of our users today. It took a long time to figure out that it was the Skype extension for Google Chrome that was causing this bad behavior.

I have had many problems in the past with not only Skype's implementation but many other click-to-call type plugins. In my opinion, I would not trust any of them to save any time over copy/paste, and I never recommend their installation to anyone.
gorkish
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 22 (5,887 Views)

I can vouch for this problem, disabled all plugins in IE, firefox and chrome and worked through them 1 by one. I uninstalled the click to call plugin once I identified the issue.
ant0
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (5,876 Views)

This is a nightmare ... I work in excel, word etc and require the paste special option. Spent hours looking on the web for copy and paste only copying plain text searches, removing templates and found nothing. Then only found it as navigated through recently installe programs.

Uninstall click to call and job done!
paulsp
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 22 (5,869 Views)

I also had clipboard problems, only unformatted text was copied into the clipboard from all applications running on WIN 7 64bit. After wasting hours, I finally saw a post hinting to Skype click to call causing this. Uninstalling Skype click to call and rebooting, the problem is now fixed. 

uhrenweiss
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 22 (5,831 Views)

Me too! I thought it was a Google Chrome problem. I even rebuilt my laptop over it and spent a whole day on the phone with Geeksquad! I just uninstalled Click-to-call and now the problem is gone. 

This is a really big deal, people use copy/paste all the time and expect the formatting to work. I'm telling everybody to uninstall click-to-call and/or don't install it in the first place. I hope somebody gets serious and fixes it. And, Skype will have to acknowledge the problem and tell me it is fixed before I will give click-to-call another shot.

Not trying to be a jerk - that is just the truth of it.

LisaMa
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 22 (5,640 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can report exactly the same problem as everybody else in this thread. I had a nightmare 2 weeks trying to isolate this problem before turning my attention to internet browser plug-ins, before finally isolating the exact cause (Skype Click to Call). The plug in virtually disables the clipboard when used in Chrome, Firefox and even Internet Explorer.

I have now totally removed the application from my PC, which is a real shame because it is a very cool application, but I need a fully functional clipboard more.

Phild2k
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 22 (5,605 Views)

Also had the problem. No Chrome installed. Using latest version of Skype 5.8.x (not sure), but it didn't have any new updates as of today (4/9/12). User was on Win 7 64-bit. Turning off Click to Call via Skype > Options > Advanced, did the trick.
Daminsky
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 22 (5,567 Views)

Add me to the list of people who have been hit by this one.  Took forever to get to the core of this one.  Skype needs to address this asap.  If you do a lot in Excel it's a major impact.

somethingmore
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 22 (5,333 Views)

Add me to this list.

For the last few weeks I've been puzzling over why everything I copied had its format removed. 

I eventually decided I'd try to find the source - I narrowed it down first to chrome, then to the skype extension but it took a long time. 

I'm suprised that the click to call extension has been coded in such a way that it changes the behaviour of the clipboard globally - it really seems like a hacky, unfinished workaround solution... 

redders6600
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 22 (5,317 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling