SMS text messages do not show my set tel number on...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SMS text messages do not show my set tel number on the recipient device

Hello,

I have set up my SMS cell phone number in the options of my skype and have verified... I am a canada resident...

The number I have saved does not show up on two recipients phones I have texted to... Skype says that it will not show on recipients in USA, China and Taiwan... Is this a problem with Canada phones as well? And if so, the site needs to be updated... And if not, how long does it take to make the changes effective? If my reading is correct, it should be instant once verified...

Thank you in advance...

pmutrie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 8 (2,216 Views)

Re: SMS text messages do not show my set tel number on the recipient device

Also, that includes texting direct to my phone... It only shows a 5 digit number as to whom is sending...

I read another post... Maybe this is a problem with my cell phone company?

pmutrie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 8 (2,215 Views)

I have the same problem.

My sms caller ID was set to my phone number and recipient recived a message from a 4 or 5 digits number. I'm from Romania and texted to a friend whose phone operator is Orange Romania.

vjHeaven
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 8 (2,206 Views)

not able to recieve text messages on my cellphone:

Is their another way i can get my Skype phone number:

Jack Alan

jackgalan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 8 (2,169 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there

The support page actually says that the caller ID isn't shown on canadian lines as well (for text messages):

Text messages sent to mobile phones in China, Taiwan, Canada and the USA will not display your Skype Name or a validated mobile number. Instead, these text messages will have generic, pre-defined numbers as the sender ID. For texts sent to mobile phones in Russia, the Skype Name is not displayed. A generic number is displayed unless you have set your mobile number as the sender ID.

( https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA672/How-do-I-show-my-mobile-number-when-sending-texts-from-Sky... )

I have a similar problem, too, as I use skype almost only to text to Canada. You'll need to inform them you're using skype to text them so they will be aware of the random numbers..

Unfortunately I don't think it's something Skype can do a lot about...

However, if you're calling someone, the ID should be shown.

@vjHeaven

Have you also set the number up in your Skype settings? Because I figured out I had to set the caller ID there (after I already set it on the Skype website).
You might also try to (re)confirm the number set in your Skype settings.

Aaren
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (2,114 Views)

I live in France and send texts to France, UK and Hong Kong.  They used to show my registered number as the sending ID but this has stopped working.  It stopped some months ago.  I tried registering my phone number again but I do not receive a verification code but other threads say this is what happens when the number has already been verified. So how do I get my number back onto sent messages?   Is this a known problem?  Is there a solution?  

MikeJ
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (2,090 Views)

How could this occur on a national basis in only a few countries?  Are the cell phone companies somehow working together to prevent transmission of the sender's phone number with Skype SMS messages? Is there some sort of federal government regulation or policy?

- Mike

mikeclarkusa
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (1,877 Views)

MikeJ wrote:

I live in France and send texts to France, UK and Hong Kong.  They used to show my registered number as the sending ID but this has stopped working.  It stopped some months ago.  I tried registering my phone number again but I do not receive a verification code but other threads say this is what happens when the number has already been verified. So how do I get my number back onto sent messages?   Is this a known problem?  Is there a solution?  

MikeJ wrote:

MikeJ wrote:

SMSs used to work properly on Skype! I'm in South Africa and since Microsoft took over Skype, more and more problems and failures occur. Please return to the original working Skype with easy access and operations

JayCee
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 8 (857 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling