Re: Notified of Voicemails that Aren't There

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Notified of Voicemails that Aren't There

Twice in the past 2 days I've received emails notifying me of voicemails from known contacts, but the voicemails themselves are not there. Neither is there any indication in the console that I've missed their calls. The emails show no signs of being phishing. My settings are all correct - voicemail has worked fine and I've changed nothing (other than Skype itself initiating a couple automatic upgrades). I've logged in and out to no avail. Thanks for any help!

thomaselijah
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 14 (416 Views)

I'm having the same issue. I am using Windows 7.

Is there no way to contact anyone who works for Skype? I have yet to see any solution for this.

MasterPipi
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 14 (396 Views)

I've got the issue too and another guy posted this in the Skype Number forum.
Posted from Apple iPhone
michaelrnz
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 14 (388 Views)

Same problem here.  I recieved an email notification of a new vm three days ago, but the message has not shown up on my Mac or iPhone.  I've tried all the fixes that I can find (log out & sign back in, update software, check the Application Support folder for a .dat file) and still no resolution.

cvilletechtutor
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (347 Views)

I've received these as well. I'm wondering if these are actually spam emails? Neither of the contacts shown in the VM alert from Skype called me (i asked) especially as one was at 4:45 a.m. and the other at 5:15 a.m....the same early morning time frame I used to get spam phone calls.
Posted from Apple iPhone
pgl
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (302 Views)

Yep, these are spam emails. Lots of reports.

captbruce0828
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 14 (298 Views)

I checked out the headers on my new vm notification emails, and they are definitely not spam/phishing.

As a test, I called my Skype number from my home phone on Tuesday and left a vm.  I then recieved an email notification almost immediately after.  Cool, that's how it's supposed to work.  But then, on the following Sunday I recieved another email saying that there was a vm from my home number.  I know that I didn't make a second call/vm, so my guess is that something on Skype's end is triggering the notification email to be resent.

cvilletechtutor
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (295 Views)

Yeah it seems that every day around 3-5am I get random voice mail emails, and they are from the official Skype email. Must just be a glitch. As far as I know, when someone actually leaves me a message, it has shown it when I log into Skype.

MasterPipi
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (288 Views)

Same experience:  every day I receive one or two emails notifying me of a voicemail, but that "left by" person cannot be found in the "recent" tab (Windows 7).  In every case the "left by" number is someone who DID leave a voicemail within the last week.  However, this SECOND notification of a voicemail from the same caller is NOT accompanied by an actual voicemail received.

thewiz
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (251 Views)

I've received multiple email alerts from phone numbers around the world (like Austria at 4am). Hackers/spammers can spoof the email address to make it look like it came from Skype.  There are reports of this happening with an attached zip file that sports a trojan virus. You can just google "bogus skype email alerts" ... here's the text from an article on softpedia....

Fake emails purporting to come from Skype Communications inform recipients that they’ve received a new message from the Skype voicemail service. In reality, the notifications are designed to distribute a piece of malware.

The emails carry the subject line “You received a new message from Skype voicemail service” and they read something like this: “This is an automated email, please don’t reply. Voice Message Notification. You received a new message from Skype voicemail service.”

They also contain the details of the alleged call, such as time and length. To make it more legitimate-looking, cybercriminals have also included a section in which they advise users to remember that Skype staff will never ask for their password via email.

The links from the bogus voicemail service notifications point to the genuine Skype website. However, according to MX Lab experts, the file that’s attached to them, Skype_Voice_Message-7776C24212.zip, hides a double extension .wav.exe file that’s actually a variant of the notorious ZeuS Trojan.

captbruce0828
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 14 (243 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling