How to check my mail on skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to check my mail on skype?

Well, I just merged my msn account to skype and I'm wondering now how do you check your inbox in skype when finally msn decides to delete everything meaning like there hotmail, so later on I won't be able to check my mail without there hotmail website. So I'm wondering where am I suppose to check my mail later on when hotmail website is all gone with msn?

Also I got another question..

I downloaded skype mostly because I thought I could finally find the inbox there. But I still didn't find it, so can I undownload skype? Since I don't need it for chatting all I want skype for is checking my mail on there website.

techfreak
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

There is no "check email" component built into Skype.  Not everything you may have been used to from other messaging clients is available in Skype.  I don't know Microsoft's intentions or roadmap for the Skype client in the future.  I have always checked my e-mail by using a web browser and I don't believe there is an inconvenience in doing so.  I find it very convenient.  Live.com has been around for some time and you should be able to check your HotmailMessengerSkyDrive,Windows PhoneXbox LIVE, or Outlook.com e-mail all from that one site.  In the future the preferred address may be outlook.com, but the same functionality will be there.  The only gain I see in using a messaging client is the notification that new e-mail has arrived.  Microsoft Outlook has that capability as well. If you don't need Skype for any other reason, remove it.  There's always a possibility it may be added in the future.  If that happens, download it then.

View solution in original post
CreamPuffxo
Tourist
Kudos: 18
Message 1 of 11 (19,084 Views)

Re: How to check my mail on skype?

I have got much the same  problem. Does anyone answer these. I need email.

papaloader
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 2 of 11 (18,510 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is no "check email" component built into Skype.  Not everything you may have been used to from other messaging clients is available in Skype.  I don't know Microsoft's intentions or roadmap for the Skype client in the future.  I have always checked my e-mail by using a web browser and I don't believe there is an inconvenience in doing so.  I find it very convenient.  Live.com has been around for some time and you should be able to check your HotmailMessengerSkyDrive,Windows PhoneXbox LIVE, or Outlook.com e-mail all from that one site.  In the future the preferred address may be outlook.com, but the same functionality will be there.  The only gain I see in using a messaging client is the notification that new e-mail has arrived.  Microsoft Outlook has that capability as well. If you don't need Skype for any other reason, remove it.  There's always a possibility it may be added in the future.  If that happens, download it then.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1449
Message 3 of 11 (18,500 Views)

it is very bad that just below youre problem message they,re  a message saying SOLVE   nothing is solve here if you upgrage a progam you added all the old feature in it ,and this is not the case ,iv experience a lot  of other problem with skype , and im very desapointed in that UPGRADE  this is NOT an upgrade and the answer that guy give is not the solution I DONT CARE if he use the web to acces is e mail ...I DONT    ,please if someone know the solution give it to me even if the solution is to go back to messenger

luclavoie1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 4 of 11 (18,316 Views)

[ Edited ]

In the history of e-mail on the Internet, e-mail has been primarily accessed by using e-mail client software.  To make things easier for people/more portable that type of access has been ported to web browsers and integrated into some programs.  You can feel free to use the MSN Messenger to check your e-mail until it is discontinued.  If Microsoft plans to integrate limited e-mail support into Skype in the future, that's up to them.  I highly doubt they are unaware that some people want more Messenger type features added back into Skype.   

No one is taking away your e-mail.  You can still access it by either using MS Outlook or a web browser.  I find it unbelievable that you make it sound like the end of the world.  You may not be happy with the "upgrade" but those are the solutions if you want to continue to use your e-mail.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 11 (18,263 Views)

msn messenger is urging me to use skype, becoz msn is stopping the service soon.

the main feature i use msn is to chat online or go to my hotmail account.

i did not like that way to start my hotmail but msn managed that years ago

so i am used to that for more than 5 years. how is it possible they say skype has all the features of msn live messenger ? if there is no link to my hotmail account, the whole skype is useless

maybe i am wrong and is there somewhere a hidden link which says how many new emails are in my inbox ??????? can somebody help me ?

kwartje
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 6 of 11 (17,946 Views)

I'm using the latest version of Skype and there is no link, no hotkey, etc.  As far as I can recall Hotmail started soley web-based.  If all you wanted was a link, couldn't you just put a shortcut to hotmail (live.com/outlook.com) on the desktop?    My relatives do that to check their yahoo mail.  I understand your frustration, but I still don't see the great inconvenience it causes.  If you had to drive to the post office everyday to check your snail-mail I would consider that an inconvenience.  

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 11 (17,936 Views)

yes thats right, hotmail started web-based. i still have messages of 2001. so i use hotmail nearly 12 years, perhaps longer with several accounts.

than MSN started and integrated hotmail later on with MSN live messenger.

from the msn what starts up with my computer i could see how many unread messages in my inbox of hotmail.

also i could link at a contact in msn to go to my hotmail and start a new mail with that contact in the address.

also i could change easily to my nine other accounts.

i use the link from msn to hotmail to open a email from my social sites as p.e. tagged, hi5 and others  and link in the email to these sites.

you see, that was my daily lovable run over the web and i used msn as a kind of shield over my hotmail accounts, sometimes chatting live in msn as i contacted someone in the social sites, adding their address to my msn and my hotmail account. 

that is totally gone when i have to use skype. it has no sense for a lot of people to use skype stand alone. i was warned by MSN that i had to merge to skype and i did that after a couple of warnings, but now i am stuck with skype for callers  

kwartje
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 8 of 11 (17,920 Views)

yep i agree with you ...lots of great feature were there ,and skype is far from being as good as msn was !  im learning to use skype on one of my main machine and not ready to let go msn on my other machine ! ,,,and please do not answer if it is to treat us off (moron) with an history of the net or mail .

net and web services are what they are today and should progress and give us more feature and   enhanced the old ones ,im not going to consider myself lucky cause i dont go to the post office everyday,i,ved work hard to be were i im today and if the solution is to switch everything to  GOOGLE i will go there ,cause this not a secret that some google feature are way more advance then microsoft ,just compare windows phone with android ,and youll see.. sorry .but for now the solution to get a good instant messaging and a mail notification like we use to have is to go back to messenger

luclavoie1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 9 of 11 (17,873 Views)

[ Edited ]

It sounds to me everything you stated you can still do with Outlook. You can also make e-mail links work within Skype with a windows file type properties change.  That method isn't very user friendly to the end user.  In any case, To it test out I modified mine and my hotmail account opens the compose page when I click on e-mail addresses in my chat window in Skype.  It will default to whichever account you are logged in at the time.  It might not be as easy for you to switch between accounts.  I don't use 9 accounts if I had that many accounts (for whatever reason)  I would probably forward a copy of my  e-mail to one account so it would all be in one place.  I'm just trying to offer solutions, not vent, bash anyone or anything in general.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 11 (17,850 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling