Does Skype iphone app automatically use WIFI or .....

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does Skype iphone app automatically use WIFI or ...

do I need to also download and use the Skype WIFI app?

I don't want to use my data, only my WIFI, for Skype.

How do I make sure this happens?

FUSkype
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 4 (20,516 Views)

Re: Does Skype iphone app automatically use WIFI or ...

The Skype wifi app is only to allow you to use Skype as a payment method at pay-for-service wifi hotspots.

The iPhone should automatically use wifi for data when it's connected to a wifi network.  If you want to be 100% sure though, turn off cellular data when you're going to make a Skype call.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 2 of 4 (20,479 Views)

Unless I misunderstand the whole point of this question.

I think what is been asked is how can you limit skype without changing normal options to only allow skype app to operate only when on wifi. This will allow you to use skype as if computer to computer, not phone to computer and thus not use your phone data points for transaction. Notification can be sent of call received off wifi or some way you can tell so as to be able to return call once within wifi range, as this will be minimal data usage. I would also like to know if this is available and how to do it.

If this is not what the original question was meaning to ask I would still like to know how this would be done.

stuartfoulis
Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (20,170 Views)

I don't think that's what the original poster was asking, but in any case, there's no way to do what you want to do.  At least not automatically.  You'd have to manually turn off cellular data each time you start Skype.  Or at least just be sure that you are on a wifi connection before starting Skype.

It's an interesting idea though.  Maybe it will be a feature added sometime in the future.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 4 of 4 (20,159 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling