Re: Adaptations to incoming / outgoing / running v...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Adaptations to incoming / outgoing / running video call windows possible?

Within our organisation, Amerpoort, we are currently creating a closed web environment geared towards our clients, who are people with intellectual disabilities. The goal is to create a fun and educational, yet safe, web experience for this specific user group.  

Part of this environment will be a video calling functionality, based on Skype. 

Because our users have special needs, we would like to be able to adapt the dialogs / popups for the video-call-in-progress, the incoming call, and the outgoing call. In this way, we can make these dialogs / popup even more clean and user-friendly then they currently are, making them suited 
to users with intellectual disabilities. 

The adaptations mentioned above do seem to be possible based on the Skype URI only. Is there any possibility (if needed, after making special arrangements with Skype / Microsoft), to script or program changes in the dialogs / popups mentioned above? Any help would be much appreciated."
MaartjeVanHees
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 5 (213 Views)

Re: Adaptations to incoming / outgoing / running video call windows possible?

Hi, MaartjeVanHees, and welcome to the Community,

Thank you for your enquiry, which I have forwarded to those to whom I report.  As soon as we have information, we will post back here.

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Good Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1604
Message 2 of 5 (185 Views)

Hi Maartje,

We don't allow any customizations to any of our dialog windows, I'm afraid. You can interact with the Skype client via the Skype URI you already mentioned and that's as far as you can get.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11854
Message 3 of 5 (142 Views)

Hi Claudius,

Thanks for your prompt response. I fully understand your statement. Sadly, however, this does not help our clients.

I know of some e-health solutions that offer video calling using Skype, but that have their own GUI developed based on Skype. Has there been any possibility in the past to enter a development partner program or something similar that has enabled them to do this?

I hate to be pressing you for a different answer, but we really do need to make some minor adjustments to the GUI other than those allowed by the URI. Would there be anyone within Skype willing to discuss the conditions under which this could be done? I fully understand if Skype can not develop its API/URI any further without incurring further cost, but perhaps a special arrangement can be made for this case?

MaartjeVanHees
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 5 (105 Views)

MaartjeVanHees wrote:

I know of some e-health solutions that offer video calling using Skype, but that have their own GUI developed based on Skype. Has there been any possibility in the past to enter a development partner program or something similar that has enabled them to do this?

We indeed used to have a Skype desktop API that allowed for controlling the core Skype application via another GUI, but it has been discontinued last year. Further reading here: http://blogs.skype.com/2013/11/06/feature-evolution-and-support-for-the-skype-desktop-api/

Right now we are focussing on the Skype URI scheme across plattforms. At the same time we want to ensure that the Skype UI gets and is maintained more consistently across platforms. Therefor allowing customizations is currently not within our gift.

Maybe if you can share just a little bit more details on your use case and you submit that as a new idea on the Skype for Windows desktop ideation board our team can have another look.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11854
Message 5 of 5 (83 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling