how do i set up skype on my chromebook?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how do i set up skype on my chromebook?

Hi! I recently received a Samsung Chromebook for Christmas, and can't seem to find out how to set up Skype on it. Any guidance you can give me?

jvvl-2006
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 58 (63,094 Views)

Re: how do i set up skype on my chromebook?

Unfortunately you cannot yet get Skype on chromebook, but it is being developed, I myself am in this situation. You could try using IMO it's not perfect but......
jellybean12
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 58 (62,984 Views)

Yeah I can't quite believe that between google and skype they haven't been able to sort anything out yet. I bought a notebook as a stop gap and stupidly didn't check if skype works. I asked the guy in the store he knew everything but not that which seemed strange because to my mind a notebook is only good for browsing and skype. I bought it anyway because I didn't ever imagine such a web savvy company as google would misfire so badly as to make it's own netbook 50% pointless. I know it's more complicated than that, but really google should be all over this. As a stop gap I would have been better off buying another notebook device, at least I would have been able to use it.
danphobic
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 3 of 58 (62,941 Views)

Any news no this? 

Surely enough people are accidentally buying the chromebook(like myself) that skype would want to get their business? 

danphobic
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 4 of 58 (62,802 Views)

imo messenger from the Chrome Webstore has built in Skype functionality. It's not prefect but until Microsoft get around to developing an HTML5 version of Skype it's the best available.
Durham69
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 5 of 58 (62,399 Views)

Google Talk works great as an alternative. How about Viber on the Chrome book?
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
DanKiter
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 58 (61,000 Views)

Now, with the WebRTC spec in HTML 5, it should not be complex to create a Skype like app in full HTML , no ?

dernotte
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 58 (57,297 Views)

imo no longer supports Skype. I was using that too until a few days ago.
Midsummer
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 58 (57,234 Views)

here we are with microsoft eee. imo no longer supporting skype. google is still seen like a big evil by microsoft, so dont expect skype on imo anymore. i bet microsoft is trying to get skype no longer working on apple and linux boxes. it is time of a better alternative to skype.
Posted from Apple iPad
DemonBroker
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 58 (57,026 Views)

Once again, look here for WebRTC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MsAWR_rJ5n8

I think this is the direction Google wants to push.

dernotte
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 58 (57,009 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling