Skype for Blackberry Playbook

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: Skype for Blackberry Playbook

bscdb wrote:

Try www.faceflow.com Out next month on PlayBook and will be cross platform. Try it now via the website if you wish. The days of Skype dominating voip are coming to an end. Skype are just lap dogs for Microsoft these days. FaceFlow is a real alternative to Skype. Look out for it. 

www.faceflow.com

Yes but we used MSN/LIVE messenger for our business and this is a victim of MS cost cutting as they are discontinuing this and moving accounts over the skype/skype messenger, so now all my msn contacts are on skype messenger.  it is strange that you can get a live messenger app for BB and PB especially when this is being closed down ( i think this is set to close fully in March 2013)

easyhostmedia
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 31 of 39 (1,989 Views)

This is a BIG F... BlackBerry from Microsoft / Skype and a clear breach of competition laws. 

Copied from a mail received regarding msn messenger. Not a squeak about the 1000's of BlackBerry users affected but then what did you expect from the masters of hypocrisy. 

It's time to update Messenger to Skype!
space
space
space
Hello, 

On 15th March 2013 we are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

Update Now
space
Yours sincerely,
The Messenger Team
space
New to Skype?
space
Already have Skype?
  1. Update to the latest version of Skype.
  2. Sign in with your Microsoft Account.
  3. Merge your existing Skype account with your Microsoft Account.
space
Here are just a few of the great features that you can use with Skype:
  • Instant message, video call and call phones from your PC, Mac, Windows Phone, iPhone, iPad, Android mobile, Kindle Fire and other devices
  • Sharing your screen with friends and family
  • Video call and instant message with your Facebook friends
  • Group video call with up to ten friends at once*
  • And that's just the start - there's so much more to explore on Skype

Update Now

space
So, what's happening between now and 15th March?
Messenger will continue to work as you know it today. If you are signed in with Messenger on your desktop** you will see a banner notification to upgrade. When you click on the banner, an installer window will open with the request to upgrade. This will take you through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger.
space
So, what's happening after 15th March?
Messenger users on desktops** will not be able to sign in and will only be able to upgrade to Skype. If you attempt to sign in, a notification will appear, and if you continue, you will be taken through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger at the same time.
space
Can I update to Skype on my mobile?
Yes! Skype is available on iPhone, Android and soon on Windows Phone 8. We encourage you to download the latest Skype app on your mobile and then uninstall Messenger. You will be able to sign in to Skype on your iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 8 mobile apps with your Microsoft Account over the next few weeks. If you use another phone with Messenger on it, it will continue to work for a while.
space
Where can I learn more?
For more help on updating to Skype, please visit the Skype Support site.
space

* To get group video chat, you'll need a Skype Premium subscription.
** Newer versions of Messenger will be able to receive the optional upgrade notifications. Older versions will not receive the notifications and you will have to download Skype manually.
0 Kudos
bscdb
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 181
Message 32 of 39 (1,984 Views)

notice how the say

(except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available)

so they are actively keeping this working in the home of the Hackers/spammers as 99.99% of hack attempts toi servers and spam originates from China.

Even WHMCS wont do a BB or BP app for WHMCS, so no idea what RIM has done to upset so many software houses that they wont entertain BB/BP apps

0 Kudos
easyhostmedia
Reliable Adventurer
Message 33 of 39 (1,979 Views)

I was in the same situation as you because I have a blackberry PlayBook and had been trying so hard to find it but it wouldn't work. But now now I have found this source and it is really helpful. Although you can't get Skype as an app on the bp you can video call and chat using your browser. Go on this link: https://imo.im/(on your browser), click on Skype and then sign in. Voila now you will be able to call/video call using Skype.

0 Kudos
sabina123
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 34 of 39 (1,695 Views)

sabina123 wrote:

I was in the same situation as you because I have a blackberry PlayBook and had been trying so hard to find it but it wouldn't work. But now now I have found this source and it is really helpful. Although you can't get Skype as an app on the bp you can video call and chat using your browser. Go on this link: https://imo.im/(on your browser), click on Skype and then sign in. Voila now you will be able to call/video call using Skype.

IMO is avaiable from the appworld on the PB and includes skype but it will cost £3.50 as its IMO + 

0 Kudos
easyhostmedia
Reliable Adventurer
Message 35 of 39 (1,690 Views)

Hello how do I download Skype on bbplaybook
0 Kudos
honeygirl
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 36 of 39 (794 Views)

honeygirl wrote:
Hello how do I download Skype on bbplaybook

you would need to install IM plus to use Skype on the Playbook

0 Kudos
easyhostmedia
Reliable Adventurer
Message 37 of 39 (778 Views)

0 Kudos
easyhostmedia
Reliable Adventurer
Message 38 of 39 (777 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dear Readers,

As I added to this thread a few weeks ago ... the titles of these articles speak for themselves.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Other-devices/how-do-i-download-skype-on-my-blackberry-playbook/m-p/17...

It would appear since Claudius' note from four weeks ago that the circumstances have changed; please see these ...

:sad:

Regarding where Skype can be used on BlackBerry devices:

Skype has not made any announcements about plans to release versions of the Skype app for older BlackBerry OS devices - that includes OS 6 and 7.  Skype Lite, upon which we were able to use Skype, was decommissioned in January 2013: https://support.skype.com/en/category/SKYPE_LITE/

Skype is now available on the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 running the 10.1 OS.

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the "Kudos" button!

Good reads: Devise good passwords, stop password attacks
and basic rules for online safety.
One more! David Pogue's How To Get Hacked in 5 Exciting Steps.
Please review and consider ... Benefits of frequent upgrading
Please, send Private Messages only upon request.
0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1273
Message 39 of 39 (758 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling