Re: Skype for BlackBerry PlayBook

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Asialen. Use "video chat" Already installed on your playbook.  It works great and don't have to wait for MS and Skype politics

edrissfeyzie
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 54
Message 71 of 426 (34,900 Views)

Yes but Video Chat is not compatible with Skype
Wilco_44
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 72 of 426 (34,463 Views)

Wilco_44 wrote:
Yes but Video Chat is not compatible with Skype

This was a solution for him as he wanted to use his PlayBook to video chat with his wife who also has a PlayBook. 

But thanks for trying :happy:

0 Kudos
edrissfeyzie
Reliable Adventurer
Message 73 of 426 (34,412 Views)

Would Blackberry allow Skype when they have their own proprietarty video conferenceing software on the tablet?  And I believe that the software will only connect with other registered Blackberry users.  This seems to rule out any future use of Skype on the Blackberry.  They are a ccompany along the mold of Apple and Sony that control and restrict access to their hardware.

urtaxwiz
Casual Tourist
Message 74 of 426 (34,292 Views)

urtaxwiz wrote:

Would Blackberry allow Skype when they have their own proprietarty video conferenceing software on the tablet?  And I believe that the software will only connect with other registered Blackberry users.  This seems to rule out any future use of Skype on the Blackberry.  They are a ccompany along the mold of Apple and Sony that control and restrict access to their hardware.

Yes they can.  

I don't think you fully understand Urtaxwiz.

Apple had/has "Face Time" and there is a Skype app.  The problem here is the Microsoft has recently purchased Skype and it is political that they are doing this  

The PlayBook was the best for screen resolution and front and rear camera until the new ipad came out and it is still the best full computer computer replacement option. Intact I don't take out my laptop anymore. Also the only tablet with stereo speakers that sounds great and steroids microphones.  1080P recording and playback and you don't need a $60 adapter to connect to your TV. 

Microsoft is just playing dirty politics and when they get sued for competition rights the truth will come out!!!!!

edrissfeyzie
Reliable Adventurer
Message 75 of 426 (34,237 Views)

My wife and I travel a great deal and rely on Skype to keep in touch. Unfortunately, only one of us can take a Blackberry Playbook while the other (me :sad: ) has to bring either the netbook or the HP Tablet. We really do like our Playbooks - they have substantially greater utility than our other computers except they have a gaping hole: NO SKYPE!
Posted from HP TouchPad
canuck66
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 76 of 426 (34,039 Views)

It would appear from the complete lack of responses from Skype that they have no intention of supporting the PlayBook or even respond to customers. My family had 5 Skype accounts, all of which have been canceled today.

See ya Skype. Perhaps a bit more customer service would be called for in the future.

terry_prowse
Novel Adventurer
Message 77 of 426 (34,030 Views)

[ Edited ]

terry_prowse wrote:

It would appear from the complete lack of responses from Skype that they have no intention of supporting the PlayBook or even respond to customers. My family had 5 Skype accounts, all of which have been canceled today.

See ya Skype. Perhaps a bit more customer service would be called for in the future.

OoVoO is working on a PlayBook app apprently and you can conference with up to 6 people at once for free or 12 with paid!!!!!

edrissfeyzie
Reliable Adventurer
Message 78 of 426 (34,012 Views)

Just checked it out. Looks very promising. I'll keep my eyes open and fingers crossed that they will support the playbook more so than Skype. Has anyone tried OoVoO, and if so, could you share your experience?

0 Kudos
terry_prowse
Novel Adventurer
Message 79 of 426 (33,973 Views)

That would be sweet if ooVoo will release a native app for the Playbook and Im looking forward to it! Honestly the Playbook is 1 hell of a great device with awesome specs and the best cameras out there than any other tablet or smartphone - especially the front Facing Camera which is a 3 MegaPixel FULL HD 1080P Cam while all other devices range between 1.3 to 2mega pixels max in the front, but the fact that there is no cross platfrom video chatting device for the PlayBook - thats a minus. Even if it would cost $0.49 cents or $0.99 cents to download the Official ooVoo App for the PlayBok - I would still buy it in an instant and support ooVoo's Effort to the fullest and Im pretty sure the rest of the 10 Million+ {and growing} people who own the Playbook will do the same thing.
People offered skype money if they would release a program - but obviously skype/microsoft think that 10 million dollars for them is nothing - right? Ok then, Let ooVoo have it then.
And just to make it clear, I am not condoning that companies like ooVoo or any other company should charge money for a downloadable free video calling app - but every one knows that the Playbook is lacking a cross platform Video Calling App really BAD - and I think if ooVoo will step up to the plate and release an Official App for the playbook that will enable Playbook to Playbook Video Calling or Playbook to Laptop Video Calling and PlayBook to Smartphone Video Calling as long as both devices have ooVoo installed - People will be very very pleased!

i-ball-out
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 80 of 426 (33,695 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling