Downloading Skype to Nokia E71 (Symbian OS 9.2)

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Downloading Skype to Nokia E71 (Symbian OS 9.2)

So, it's a long story but basically:

Skype website says I have a compatible device (E71) - Although I can't find out if it has the correct operating system (it has Symbian 9.2), but I'd figure it'd be the same for all E71s.

When I go to skype.com/m on my mobile it tells me; 'Skype isn't available for your phone'

What I would like to be able to do is use skype on my phone overseas via wifi connection. So that I am able to call skype to skype for free and use skype credits and a subscription to call landline and mobile numbers both back home and in the countries I'm travelling in.

My understanding is that with the 3 application of skype it requires the 3 network, i.e. it'll be ludicriously costly to use overseas (with the exception that I may be able to use it in places like italy (which are '3 Like home' countries who also have 3) but I'm still not sure this won't cost me and arm and a leg. So I therefore need the Symbian version. 

I'm finding this increasingly difficult and I feel like I'm going in circles with both 3 and skypes support systems, please help!

emily655321
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 250
Message 1 of 82 (332,997 Views)

Re: Downloading Skype to Nokia E71 (Symbian OS 9.2)

Yes, I am experiencing the same problem with my N97 Nokia. Obviously the software leaves a lot to be desired. I have heard from other people that since Microsoft bought out Skype it has caused a lot of problems, this type being just one of many. I can't even download the installation file to my laptop and then upload it to my mobile. Very poor software coding I am afraid and there is no solution in sight at this time. At least I have Skpe on my N95 which was installed without problems some time ago (prior to the change). Good luck, we need it....

peterkubler47
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 24
Message 2 of 82 (332,989 Views)

I have the same problem with my E71.  The device is locked to Vodafone and I am guessing that Vodafone have configured it to not allow installation of Skype.  Same issue with operating system upgrades.  A newer one is available but the device blocks the upgrade.

zl2bhr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 50
Message 3 of 82 (332,935 Views)

Update.  I solved the problem by going to the Ovi store on the device and downloading Skype from there.  It is now installed and working fine.  :happy:

zl2bhr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 50
Message 4 of 82 (332,932 Views)

korg
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 5 of 82 (332,886 Views)

hi i can t leason the voice
Posted from Nokia E71
shaikthousif
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 82 (330,848 Views)

try to install "Voipaudiosrv 1.00" if your your version is 2.xx
Posted from Nokia E71
alibaloc
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 7 of 82 (330,237 Views)

lakh laanat
Posted from Opera Opera Mini for S60
samad
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 82 (322,513 Views)

I have a E71 also. I could get skype to do only voice no video. I read your queston very quickly but I can call internationally using skype to call german cell phones or land lines.

If you would like to do video calls I know that Fring will work fine. Isnt that crazy that the e71 has a front facing camera and you can hardly use it for anything? that is why I bought the e71 for using it on skype oh well. BUT hey if you have an Ipod and like to ske you can download a program to make it a hotspot! It works great When I want to skype I use the E71 as a hot spot and use my ipod for skyping..good luck!

volleybiggs
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 22
Message 9 of 82 (322,381 Views)

hello

i have downloaded skype on my nokia e71 and it will start up

but if i want to login it wont

i type in my login name and my password and then i login but then after a few seconds eh stops and it does nothing and im still nog logged in

i tried to update my nokia e71 but it still doesnt work

can someone help me please

anco
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 54
Message 10 of 82 (317,618 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling