About Skype for Symbian

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

About Skype for Symbian

[ Edited ]

We have been working hard to make Skype for mobile better than ever, and adopting Skype cloud enables us to drive improved battery life, improve connections and introduce exciting new features. However Symbian wasn’t built for the cloud-connected world, so we are retiring the Skype for Symbian app and focusing on bringing the best possible experience to the most popular mobile platforms: Windows Phone, iOS and Android. The Skype for Symbian app will be removed from the Nokia store today, however users that have already downloaded the app can continue to use it.

UPDATED on August 18th:

We are now permanently retiring all Skype apps for Symbian phones. As a result, within the next few weeks, you’ll no longer be able to sign in and use Skype on any Symbian phone.

You can still stay in touch with friends and family using Skype on an Android device, Nokia Lumia phone or desktop computer. You can sign into them all using the same Skype account. The latest versions of Skype for all supported devices are available here.

See the full article here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10389/is-skype-for-symbian-being-discontinued

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13576
Message 1 of 71 (14,928 Views)

Re: About Skype for Symbian

Another microscam from microsoft to silent symbian world.Well never mind.A year ago i already started to reduce dependence on microsoft product.Switch from window to linux,use third party sofware.Should be totally switch from any microsoft related in few years time.
Posted from Nokia N8-00
traxx
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 2 of 71 (14,769 Views)

About Skype for Symbian

It's easy... publish the source code of Symbian Skype, to the free developers continue it evolution.

Victor-Enrique
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 3 of 71 (14,629 Views)

Is there any indication as to how long the Symbian Skype client will continue to function?

Thanks.

efmdllc
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 83
Message 4 of 71 (14,618 Views)

As we are heavily investing in enhancing the Skype multi device experience (More information here: http://blogs.skype.com/2014/02/13/skypes-enhanced-chat-experience/ ) it's not clear how long the Skype for Symbian client will continue to work.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13576
Message 5 of 71 (14,494 Views)

bravo

petar_iliev
Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 71 (14,484 Views)

How sad a company like Skype can be.

Just remember Skype, and therefore Nokia & Microsoft chased  away loyal costumers by not treat them as such and forcing them to switch to another OS.

This fact already has damaged you as a trustworthy company.

santioriginal
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 23
Message 7 of 71 (14,143 Views)

it's impossible. I had disinstalled mine. So poor me! I need to buy another mobile device, so? Grr
Posted from Nokia N8-00
vivadago
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 71 (13,853 Views)

GOOD night
Posted from Nokia E63
ASAD.HAZARI
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 71 (13,800 Views)

hi
Posted from Nokia C5-00
menhaz
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 71 (13,378 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling