News and Announcements

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Joanna_M

Skype for Windows Phone 8: Tips for Success

by Staff Moderator Staff Moderator on ‎06-06-2013 08:29

Today’s a good day for advanced tips on Skype for Windows Phone 8. If you think I skipped a few chapters or are wondering where the starters tips are, fear not, I’ve got those covered too. So, what are these advanced tips? I’m glad you asked.

In the tips below, we will cover:

• Multi-tasking during a Skype call
  • Starting conversations from the People Hub
  • Previewing messages on the Start screen
  • Settings for notifications
  • Settings for lock screen notifications

So let’s get started, shall we?

Multi-tasking during a Skype call

With Skype for Windows 8 you can multitask to your heart’s content while your call continues in the background.

While you’re in a call you can tap chat or profile to send an instant message or see the profile of the person you’re calling. You can also tap the highlighted button below to return to your recent conversations.

You can also tap the Start button if you need to return to that screen, your call will keep going!

Starting conversations from the People Hub

I’m guessing you know by now, how to start a conversation from within Skype for Windows Phone 8. But did you know you can do that from the People Hub too?

When you sign into Skype on your Windows Phone, your contacts will be added to the People Hub. To start a Skype conversation with them, simply open the People Hub, select the contact you want to chat with, and tap Skype.

Previewing messages on the Start screen

You’ve probably already got Skype pinned to your Start screen for quick and easy access. But did you know that if you increase the size of the tile you can preview your Skype messages right there on your Start screen?

To resize your Skype tile:

• Tap and hold the Skype tile.
  • Tap Resize until it is the size you want.
  • When you’re done, tap Start .

Settings for notifications

There are a few different things you can do to manage how you receive your notifications on Skype for Windows Phone 8. For example, you can turn off notifications for new messages in Skype, or you can stop Windows Phone from playing a sound for notifications from your apps.

To turn off notifications in Skype:

• Start Skype.
  • Tap your profile picture in the top right of the screen.
  • Tap and then tap notifications.
  • Drag the sliders from On to Off and the job’s done.

To turn off notification sounds from apps:

• On the Windows Phone Start screen, flick left to bring up the app list and select Settings.
  • Select ringtones + sounds.
  • Scroll down and deselect All other notifications.

Don’t forget you can also set your status to invisible by tapping your profile picture in Skype and selecting invisible.

Settings for lock screen notifications

You’re a busy person. You’ve got places to go and people to see. You want to be able to tell at a glance whether you have any unread Skype messages. Well my friend, I have good news for you, you can receive Skype notifications on your lock screen.

To turn on lock screen notifications:

• Open the Windows Phone Settings menu.
  • Select lock screen.
  • Tap .
  • Select Skype.

You can also turn on more detailed notifications which will allow you to preview your latest message. In the lock screen settings select Skype from the drop-down list under Choose an app to show detailed status.

Comments
by abdu.abrhem on ‎11-06-2013 23:49

Joanna_M wrote:

Today’s a good day for advanced tips on Skype for Windows Phone 8. If you think I skipped a few chapters or are wondering where the starters tips are, fear not, I’ve got those covered too. So, what are these advanced tips? I’m glad you asked.

With Skype for Windows 8 you can multitask to your heart’s content while your call continues in the background.

While you’re in a call you can tap chat or profile to send an instant message or see the profile of the person you’re calling. You can also tap the highlighted button below to return to your recent conversations.

You can also tap the Start button if you need to return to that screen, your call will keep going!

I’m guessing you know by now, how to start a conversation from within Skype for Windows Phone 8. But did you know you can do that from the People Hub too?

When you sign into Skype on your Windows Phone, your contacts will be added to the People Hub. To start a Skype conversation with them, simply open the People Hub, select the contact you want to chat with, and tap Skype.

You’ve probably already got Skype pinned to your Start screen for quick and easy access. But did you know that if you increase the size of the tile you can preview your Skype messages right there on your Start screen?

There are a few different things you can do to manage how you receive your notifications on Skype for Windows Phone 8. For example, you can turn off notifications for new messages in Skype, or you can stop Windows Phone from playing a sound for notifications from your apps.

• Start Skype.

• On the Windows Phone Start screen, flick left to bring up the app list and select Settings.

Don’t forget you can also set your status to invisible by tapping your profile picture in Skype and selecting invisible.

You’re a busy person. You’ve got places to go and people to see. You want to be able to tell at a glance whether you have any unread Skype messages. Well my friend, I have good news for you, you can receive Skype notifications on your lock screen.

• Select lock screen.
  • Tap .
  • Select Skype.

You can also turn on more detailed notifications which will allow you to preview your latest message. In the lock screen settings select Skype from the drop-down list under Choose an app to show detailed status.

by kozhen on ‎14-06-2013 15:44

Joanna_M wrote:

• Start Skype.

• Select lock screen.
  • Tap .
  • Select Skype.

Joanna_M wrote:

• Start Skype.

• Select lock screen.
  • Tap .
  • Select Skype.

kk

by tina.godlonton1 on ‎15-06-2013 22:35

its my 43rd birthday on monday 17th june

by shujaac on ‎17-06-2013 05:16

skype    ???????????????????  no

by dima2mich on ‎18-06-2013 12:09
Hi there, My Skype just shows a blue screen, with just logo and the cloud with no place for log in. I've tried uninstalling and installing again but it still does the same. Kindly assist. My windows is 2007 and running on 64-bit. Regards,
by ARTcarlos on ‎31-08-2013 09:54

there are missing chats from my laptop computer when I re-open skype using my netbook? Thanks

Announcements

We have made changes to the way you register for Skype. Read more

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling