News and Announcements

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Claudius

Meet Elaine - Volunteer Moderator

by Community Manager Community Manager ‎19-07-2013 11:44 - edited ‎17-07-2013 10:17

Welcome to the second instalment of “Meet the team”, a blog series where we interview Super Users, Moderators and Skype employees who are active on the community.

ElaineSkypeBioPic.jpg Meet Elaine, one of our volunteer Moderators who has posted nearly 5000 times since joining the Skype Community. Elaine joined the community only a few short months after it launched in 2011 and has been a firm part of day to day life on the Skype Community ever since. Initially, Elaine was simply another user of the forums who just wanted to help people and contribute in some way to the community that was, and still is growing rapidly. We recognised her as a Super User for the reasons that she was so willing and able to help those who asked in the first place, and then continued to maintain this level of contribution. She then became a volunteer moderator in order to continue to assist those in the community in a more involved manner.

Always ready with a warm welcome for a new user, we’re really glad that Elaine is part of the team helping make the Skype Community the wonderful place it is today through her tireless assistance and seemingly endless contributions to the users as a whole.

We asked Elaine a few questions about her experience with the Skype Community:

Tell us something about yourself

I am a people-person who enjoys serving and helping others.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would glean so much satisfaction and sense of accomplishment by participating in on-line Communities or forums such as ours. 

Why did you become a Moderator?

Moderators are privileged to use cool tools that make moderating fun and efficient! 

On a more serious note, I will never forget the video call that happy day when I was invited to join the Super Users.  Much as I enjoyed my work and role as a Super User (I still refer to this as being anointed with my sapphire tiara), I recall asking NormanM, whom I had always respected from my initial acquaintance with the first user forum years ago and who is now my mentor and friend, “How can I do this,” and “How can I do that.”  I soon realized I truly desired to step up to assume more responsibility and to undertake a more serious commitment to the Community.  I was so excited to receive an invitation to become a Moderator!   The tool box is an invaluable asset as I strive to give my best assistance to every thread I contribute to.

If there is ever a place for me to thank those to whom I owe so much gratitude and respect for so freely and willingly sharing their expertise with me, and from whom I have learned so much about Skype and being a moderator, this has got to be the opportunity: I must thank NormanM, Bruno, Carola, g4pilut, Neil, Ruwim, and in the very beginning, TheUberOverLord.  Special thanks to Claudius … you are all my friends and family now.  This is what “community” is all about!

What do you enjoy about being a Moderator?

Working with people and problem-solving; helping people find their way and pointing them in the right direction.  Ensuring the Community is a safe place for anyone, anywhere to visit – I take that task very seriously.  My stint in broadcast radio taught me that there are real people on the other side of the microphone … I can readily imagine the faces reading our posts.  I compare being a Moderator to sometimes being a friend, sometimes a Mom, and other times a teacher and even a police officer.  Maintaining the balance is key.

How would you weigh a plane without scales? :happy:

1. Find a calm body of water large enough to accommodate the aircraft in question; measure its dimensions and calculate its volume and ask Super User and Physicist Ruwim for assistance with the mathematics.
  2. Arrange to apply padded straps to the aircraft in all the right places, transport the aircraft to the body of water, hoist the aircraft in question gently and lower the airplane into the pond or body of water using a Huey or some other heavy-duty, load-bearing helicopter.  We ought to seal the airplane closed beforehand to prevent water from leaking in.
  3. Measure the water displaced and draft created by the aircraft.  Perform the calculations based upon the weight of the water (2.5 pounds per gallon).  Easy!  ;0

If there’s anyone you always wanted to ask a question, drop a comment to help us pick the next to interview.

Comments
by BABABABA-01 on ‎23-07-2013 13:25

Nice meeting you!

by nguyenquangdat on ‎26-07-2013 02:52

hello everyone. Nice too meet you!

by Rajakhansameer on ‎26-07-2013 09:22

Nice me you

by Siamand on ‎31-07-2013 09:10

Can u add me please?

by Moderator on ‎01-08-2013 23:12

Hi, 66666 .... thank you for stopping by!

Allow me to be of assistance ... Here is a link to the instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service via their secure portal: Contact Customer Service

As you know you intend to contact Customer Service, skip past Step 2 of the instruction and proceed to Step 3, Continue Support Request (the "button" appears at the lower right corner of the website page). You may also skip past in Step 4 where you will be referred back here to the Community; no need to do this as the Community is where you started.

Best regards,
Elaine

by urbanjungles on ‎02-08-2013 08:51

SORRY ELAINE...BUT CUSTOMER SERVICES DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS.

SKYPE KOREA HAS DIED...AFTER USING IT FOR 6 YEARS I CAN NO LONGER USE IT SINCE YOU HAVE PALMED IT OFF TO A VERY UNTRUSTWORTHY - UNCONTACTABLE - ONLINE KOREAN OUTFIT...

THERE ARE MORE THAN 100,000 NON KOREANS IN THIS COUNTRY, MANY SKYPE USERS, NOW FACING THE SAME PROBLEMS.

I DISCOVERED THE PROBLEM WHEN MY ACCOUNT DIDN'T AUTO-CREDIT AS IT HAD DONE FOR YEARS.

HOW COULD YOU DESTROY SOMETHING THAT WORKED SO WELL...???

NOW PURCHASING VONAGE...LAST ONE OUT TURN OFF THE LIGHTS...

by 0889734110 on ‎02-08-2013 15:10

how can do to meet you

by Vincent. on ‎05-08-2013 13:09

Nice to meet you all, hoped you like to having a lil chit-chat with me :bigsmile:

by zamira.19 on ‎06-08-2013 18:44

Hello Meet Elaine Skype ..!

Thankyou Zamira.19..!

by ray0 on ‎06-08-2013 19:48

how can I determine if my credit card update was accepted?

by ray0 on ‎06-08-2013 20:01

how long to I have to wait for an answer to my question

by anafshadman on ‎07-08-2013 22:34

hi

by viona14 on ‎08-08-2013 01:07
Hi
by viona14 on ‎08-08-2013 01:15
Hey its Viona here howz everything?
by awparran on ‎08-08-2013 09:38

Hello:

I received a message that there was a replay to my post yet when I try to access the community forum, it says I do not have enough privileges to do that.

Any suggestions?

Anthony Parran

by balletgal on ‎08-08-2013 21:11

I have an account and it seems that money is being taken to pay via paypal each month but now my mobile skype only has £.90 pence in it. How can this be without having heard from skype that I am low on credit?

HELP?

by zamira.19 on ‎12-08-2013 20:19

Skype company administrators friend ..!
Please help to address [Removed for privacy] Skype, because the credit is blocked for I have phone with free internet money and this is egele number: 00355672753265 thank you because I have no credit card.
Once the Internet and the PC have free ..!
With respect to Tirana Albania Korance Zamira help!

by wimbledon88 on ‎12-08-2013 22:21

i have windows 7  but when i  video call a frined  they can se me  but i cant see them. also   i can read there messages that they write whiloe we  are online but they cant see mine.   it was all ok about a month ago.

i have downloaded skype and re installed again ( differant versions)   but to no avail.  can anybody help please 

by ca630622 on ‎20-08-2013 11:38

Hi i shuma. i cant install skype on my chromebook C7.. will you please tell me how could  get on my competure.. through skype i able to commuicate with my parents..i am also member of skype commuinity.

by piyaya.mrtn on ‎20-08-2013 18:06

Hi Guys! :happy: Hope we can be friends :happy:)

by FLOUR on ‎18-12-2013 18:49

HELLO nice to meet you how are things going

Announcements

We have made changes to the way you register for Skype. Read more

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling