News and Announcements

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Joanna_M

Mastering the Status Quo

by Staff Moderator Staff Moderator ‎30-08-2013 12:23 - edited ‎30-08-2013 12:36 (3,270 Views)

Your status lets your Skype contacts know whether you are available for a chat or a call. A status symbol is displayed next to your name in the contact list. When you open Skype, it’s set automatically, but you can change it at any time.

By changing your status, mood message or profile picture, you can let your friends know what you have been up to.

But do you actually know why the status icon is yellow? What is this orange dot to the right of a contact’s name? Or why the video call button is a pale green and unclickable sometimes?

If you already know answers, we would love for you to share your Skype knowledge with others!
If you need a tour to learn the basics read this article.

And don’t forget to leave your feedback in the “ Skype Lounge Board“.

Happy status updating :happy:

Comments
by yuganthi on ‎05-09-2013 06:53

The video call button is pale green what’s up with that?

In order to complete a video call, skype needs to be able to establish a connection between you and the other party. If Skype can’t do that, the video call button fades to pale green and clicking it does nothing. Usually this is because your contact is either offline or has set their status to invisible. If your contact is offline or invisible, they will show in your contact list with a white icon.

The icon next to my contact’s name is yellow, what does that mean?

The yellow icon indicates that your contact has set their status to Away. Either they set their status manually or Skype is set up to change their status after they’ve been inactive for a while. Simply same as Gtalk status is set to Idle. You can still send them messages and attempt to call them, but if they’re away from their computer they might not answer right away.

What about the orange dot to the right of my contact’s name? 

The orange dot means you have unread messages from that contact that have sent by the contact.

by Moderator on ‎19-09-2013 16:05
by ixGraham on ‎08-10-2013 02:06
But do you actually know why the status icon is yellow?: It means the user is away. What is this orange dot to the right of a contact’s name? I'm not sure, Either favorite toggle or name change. Or why the video call button is a pale green and unclickable sometimes? The user is offline.
Do you want to post a comment on the blog article "News and Announcements"
or do you want to ask a question on a different topic?

Let me post a different question
Announcements

We have made changes to the way you register for Skype. Read more

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling