News and Announcements

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Joanna_M

Getting the most out of Skype while gaming

by Staff Moderator Staff Moderator on ‎09-04-2013 12:01 (8,893 Views)

After a long day at work, many people can’t wait to get away from their computers, if only for a little while. I’m not like that though, I like to unwind in my spare time by gaming. Though my first gaming experience was on a NES at the tender age of 5, my one true love has always been PC gaming.

Whether I’m in a 2v2 arena match or a game of assault, communication is key to a good result. Today I’ll give you some tips on how to get the most out of Skype when talking to your gaming teammates.

Push to talk, release to sigh in frustration

While gaming, you want to be able to talk to your team but you might not want them to hear everything. You can set Skype to unmute your microphone as long as you hold down a hotkey, allowing you to explain your masterful strategy.

First you have to set the hotkey you want to use. To do this:

1. In Skype, in the menu bar, go to Tools > Options. In the Options window select Advanced > Hotkeys
  2. Tick Enable keyboard shortcuts
  3. Tick Toggle mute (Push-to-talk)
  4. In the pop-up window, enter a key combination (For example tick Ctrl and enter S to assign Ctrl+S as a hotkey combination) then click OK and Save.

Now the hotkey is set, start a Skype call with your teammates. Once the call has started, click the mute button on the call bar so that your microphone is muted by default. Then when you press the hotkey you just set you will be unmuted while you hold the button down.

mute

Make sure to mute yourself on the call before returning to your game

Once your hotkey is set, the call is going and you’re on mute, you can go back to your game and push the hotkey which you created whenever you want to say something to your team.

Gaming is srs bsns – Do Not Disturb

You might already be aware of the different status options available in Skype:

• Away
  • Do Not Disturb
  • Invisible

What you might not know, however, is that the ‘Do Not Disturb’ presence does more than just let your friends know you’re occupied. When you set your presence to ‘Do Not Disturb’ your friends will still be able to call and instant message you, but you won’t receive distracting sound notifications.

Comments
by Moderator on ‎10-04-2013 12:08
by video.recording on ‎07-07-2013 23:25

Instead posting about all new news in this link you can show that on skype home no with all other advertisements or offers.

Do you want to post a comment on the blog article "News and Announcements"
or do you want to ask a question on a different topic?

Let me post a different question
Announcements

We have made changes to the way you register for Skype. Read more

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling