News and Announcements

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Claudius

Community News (week #51 2011 | Dec 16th - 22th)

by Community Manager Community Manager ‎28-12-2011 22:51 - edited ‎28-12-2011 22:50 (14,435 Views)

Welcome to the latest edition of our "Community News". These news updates give you an overview of what has happened in our community in the past week. I am looking forward to hear how you like these and what additional topics you like to see covered here.

Community chitchat

We have restructured the layout in the English category area a bit based on your feedback. The Community section has been moved to the bottom of the listing to give you faster access to the popular "Frequently Asked" and Skype on Computer and Mobile areas. What do you think about this change? Anything you can't find right now?

Thread of The Week

There was a nice thread started on the Windows board about a compact layout during group calls. It would be interesting to hear your input about this idea. Maybe you have a suggestion about how you would like to see the call view to be changed?

Post highlight

A regular reappearing question is the one about the bandwidth consumption of Skype calls (both audio and video). That's especially interesting on mobile devices. That's where ruwim's reply on the bandwidth unit used in the technical call info comes in really handy. Thanks for sharing.

Member of The Week

Long time community user VoodooDoll has been accumulating quite some credits over the past weeks by. He is mainly active on the Windows board where he has created several very useful topics on the common questions for this platform. Thanks a lot for that!

And by the way: If you come accross any message you find helpful, funny, offering a solution or all of it at the same time: Please click on the "Kudo +1" button below the message to show your appreciation.

Comments
by dark_sakura on ‎29-12-2011 11:21

in the new version one thing that is not good is it dosnt show the the call duration just like in the old version . i hope they add that in the up coming new version of skype . also the during the video call the name SKYPE appears on the top left side which is very annoying !!

by dark_sakura on ‎29-12-2011 11:24

skype on mobiles dosnt support video calls i have nokia X6 which had duel camera i thought i would be able to do video calls but i cant and there is also no other messengers that do video calls . in iphone u can do video calls using yahoo.. and i hope skype also makes software for mobiles that support video calls thanks........

by marchildon on ‎30-12-2011 17:41

I have recently installed Skype so I believe it should be the most updated version, ie. 5.5.0.124. I have tried several times to to add contacts and the requests are not being received at the other end.

I have searched for the contact and the individual that I want but they are not receiving my requests. How do I add a contact?

by gjim123 on ‎31-12-2011 14:35

I am new to Skype and don't know how to use it to connect with other users. The Help section is not all that helpful in this regard. I have placed a post in Learning English forum since I can teach and people are responding, but I don't know what to do about it. Can anyone please advise? Thank you,

Jim

gjim123

by rososam ‎01-01-2012 15:30 - edited ‎01-01-2012 15:32

I cannot get onto skype, message says Skype home unavailable please help

thanks

by on ‎01-01-2012 15:37

First, please do this to make sure it is not the cause:

You do not need to uninstall, what you have, simply install over what you have, with this:

At the moment the quickest method to fix this is to install the beta version from here: http://skype.com/go/getskype-beta

by mthellmann on ‎01-01-2012 17:11

I am trying to skype with my family in germany, i can see them but they cannot see me, they can only hear me,...suggestions?

by Pippin1937 on ‎01-01-2012 21:52

How can you enlarge the text in messages as it's so small in Skype? Please can there be an answer?

by mbonadona on ‎01-01-2012 22:59
by jimmay84 on ‎03-01-2012 16:40

Hi, I'm new to Skype and am quite keen to find out how many people actually use it in the UK. Does anyone know?

by merrywaym on ‎04-01-2012 04:12
This evening I received a Skype video call from "Notifications urgent online instructions" telling me that my computer protection software was not working and I must immediately go to [invalid URL] to get it repaired and have an analysis done. No other identifying information. Skype Heartbeat says it is fine and McAfee says it is fine. I did not go there. If this was an email, I would blow it off as spam. But since I am brand new to Skype, I thought I better check. Has anyone else received this kind of message? Does it sound legit? Thanks for your advice.
by Harmon on ‎04-01-2012 16:53

My mom also got one of these calls! Good thing I was here when it happened she would have gone to the site. whats up with no posting of this on the website?

too early?

Claudius wrote:

Welcome to the latest edition of our "Community News". These news updates give you an overview of what has happened in our community in the past week. I am looking forward to hear how you like these and what additional topics you like to see covered here.

Community chitchat

We have restructured the layout in the English category area a bit based on your feedback. The Community section has been moved to the bottom of the listing to give you faster access to the popular "Frequently Asked" and Skype on Computer and Mobile areas. What do you think about this change? Anything you can't find right now?

Thread of The Week

There was a nice thread started on the Windows board about a compact layout during group calls. It would be interesting to hear your input about this idea. Maybe you have a suggestion about how you would like to see the call view to be changed?

Post highlight

A regular reappearing question is the one about the bandwidth consumption of Skype calls (both audio and video). That's especially interesting on mobile devices. That's where ruwim's reply on the bandwidth unit used in the technical call info comes in really handy. Thanks for sharing.

Member of The Week

Long time community user VoodooDoll has been accumulating quite some credits over the past weeks by. He is mainly active on the Windows board where he has created several very useful topics on the common questions for this platform. Thanks a lot for that!

And by the way: If you come accross any message you find helpful, funny, offering a solution or all of it at the same time: Please click on the "Kudo +1" button below the message to show your appreciation.

by tellumtime on ‎06-01-2012 03:38

someone left a phone number with no name or comments. Skype E-mailed me that someone left their number. how do I find out who called or should I just call that phone number? now what?

by weldthing1 on ‎07-01-2012 17:59

When I try to connect with another person on shype, as soon as we both see eachother the program shuts down saying that there is a problem with our internet connection. However we are already online and can do all the things we normally do on the internet. Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem? We love Skype for seeing all our children and grandbabies!  Thanks.

by weldthing1 on ‎07-01-2012 18:01

I have also thought about unistalling and reinstalling but wondered about how to not lose all my contacts,   Thanks.

by naturebear420 on ‎08-01-2012 07:01

Help!!! I have been having the same problem as weldthing1 please reply if you have found a solution!! Thank you.

by amlera882 on ‎08-01-2012 10:33

I am having the same problem!! I tried un and re-installing and it doesn't help.. I can connect to calls but then after about 5 seconds the program stops working and shuts down. Its very frustrating..

by temandkumar on ‎08-01-2012 14:57

Hi. I'm trying to create a new account as well but in vain...I've tried different browsers and still it doesn't work. It keeps on saying

"We're sorry, but you're ineligible to register for a Skype account. We apologize for the inconvenience."
Thanks...
by chief29 on ‎08-01-2012 16:24

If this is support where do I find the answers?

by chief29 on ‎08-01-2012 16:26

I am having the same problem!! I tried un and re-installing and it doesn't help.. I can connect to calls but then after about 5 seconds the program stops working and shuts down. Its very frustrating..

by gendersamily on ‎08-01-2012 18:58

I am having the same problem as weldthing1, etc.  I actually uninstalled Skype and am in the process of re-installing, but wanted to see if there was another solution or if anyone knew what was going on.  Here is the error message that Windows gave me:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             Skype.exe

Application Version:                           5.6.59.110

Application Timestamp:                     4e96c2e0

Fault Module Name:                          kernel32.dll

Fault Module Version:                        6.0.6002.18449

Fault Module Timestamp:                  4da47967

Exception Code:                                  0eedfade

Exception Offset:                                0003fc56

OS Version:                                          6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  4e1c

Additional Information 2:                  7c580df962b9088f0d6bc900af363ed6

Additional Information 3:                  bbea

Additional Information 4:  af92245eaab9bc528385bcb9985181a0

by jmdavis2012 on ‎08-01-2012 19:18

Everytime I log on to skype, I get to be online for maybe 10 seconds before it automatically closes due to an error. I've reinstalled and that didn't help. What now?

by chow-lee on ‎09-01-2012 00:52

guess i am not the only one with 5 second after connecting skype stops working with an error anybody know the fix its real anoying

by samer198080 on ‎09-01-2012 03:58

How do I retrieval of contacts I have deleted?

by venturino on ‎09-01-2012 14:51

I have Skype on a table top I have been trying to install it on a lap top. How can I have the personal information back on the computer?

by on ‎09-01-2012 17:31

You may or may not get a timely response if you post your concerns or questions in this thread.  You can post them in the most appropriate thread, or simply start your own.

please visit the link below on instructions on how to create a new thread.  most likely your concern can be easily seen and get accurate responses if your questions/concerns are placed in the correct section. thanks!

Help Us Help You (How to Start a New Thread)

by Shadowfox1st on ‎10-01-2012 00:43

Nice.  41 pages of people asking why skype doesn't work any more.  And nowhere is there an answer to the question. Wonderful.

by carolstarr3 on ‎10-01-2012 02:31

Every time I log into Skype I get a popup box that says: Skype has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I am getting totally frustrated.  Can anyone help me?

by adamsripetch1 on ‎10-01-2012 02:31

I just signed up yesterday paid 13.99    but today I can't call again   why?

Do you want to post a comment on the blog article "News and Announcements"
or do you want to ask a question on a different topic?

Let me post a different question
Announcements

We have made changes to the way you register for Skype. Read more

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling