skype won't open in windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

skype won't open in windows 8

I bought a new asus laptop with windows 8. I downloaded the Skype app from the Windows store and it appears on my desktop. But when I try to open it a blue screen appears and I get an error saying "we couldn't reach skype" ... "sometimes the internet is a bit sleepy... TRY AGAIN". No matter how many times I try again, or remove and reload it, the same error.

Note: everything else works and skype is fine on my Windows 7 desktop and same internet connection.

Please help.

Skypeappproblem
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 7 (3,999 Views)

Re: skype won't open in windows 8

I have the exact same problem - I urgently need Skype for work as need to call internationally. 

Any fix would be hugely appreciated!  And bring out a desktop version for Windows 8 please! Don't force us to use the app store when it's clearly not ready! 

(Info about my case:  App store says I already have it. When I click on it from the Windows 8 start page Skype will not open, tells me "We couldn't reach Skype" when I click on the app, and tells me that the internet is "sleepy" and offers to "try again" which does nothing). 

Thanks all 

RachelDale19
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 7 (3,975 Views)

I have the exact same problem on my new lenovo gaming laptop. Anyone know if there is a fix? Great job microsoft!

adabomb87
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 7 (3,859 Views)

Same Problem.. when i try from skype website download latest ver. sometime hang and cut the call. please give some solution...
Jojopappachan
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 7 (3,698 Views)

MMHMMMMM.......when i go to the right side of my screen, click the start button, scroll over, click on the skype app...It stays on the blue screen for about 3 seconds then goes right back to where i was before i clicked the skype app.

Mariko0621
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 7 (2,357 Views)

Mine won't download it's taking forever and not showing up on the downloads and updates thing. I have it on my iPad and Phone but if I loose them! Why won't it download on my ASUS Windows 8 laptop?
Posted from Apple iPad
EllieeBashh
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (1,148 Views)

You can try instead to install the desktop version.

The currently latest Skype 6.13.0.104 desktop version can be installed using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.13.0.104.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6404
Message 7 of 7 (1,120 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling