"This version of Skype is not supported in your re...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"This version of Skype is not supported in your region"

My son in southern China is suddenly getting the message "This version of Skype is not supported in your region".  This is new, as we successfully Skyped with him just 3 days ago.  Is this due to the new version of Skype, or has there been a change in the Skype agreement with China?  Any chance we will be able to Skype with him any time soon?  We can email, but Skype is our only way to communicate with him in real time.  Thank you.

suzsea
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 28 (2,982 Views)

China: "Region not supported"

Hi,

Skype not working anymore in China since this morning, prompting the user with a "Region not supported" message and a "Retry" button.

Using a VPN restores functionality, so I'd say it's clearly a regional restriction.

Is Skype "Metro" app going the same way of desktop Skype and requiring a TOM version?

resle
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 28 (2,910 Views)

This version of Skype is not supported in your region.

Well, to make it short, I get the message "This version of Skype is not supported in your region." just after starting the app. The sign-in dialog does not appear. I have to attend an online-meeting very soon. Can anybody help me in finding a solution for this problem?

Application Version:

I have installed the most recent English version of the Skype App from Microsoft's store.  (1.9.0.2015)

Privacy Settings:

Let apps use my location = "On"

Windows Region Settings:

Format (Language Preferences): "Chinese (Simplified, China)"

Home Location: "United States"

Current Language for Non-Unicode programs: "English (United States)"

Language Preferences:

[1] English (United States): Windows display language: Enabled (override), Keyboard layout: US

[2] Deutsch (Deutschland): Keyboard layout: German

[3] 中文(中华人民共和国): Input method: Microsoft Pinyin SimpleFast; Date, time and number formatting

Override for Windows display language = English(United States)

Override for default input method = English (United States) - US

Don't let websites access my language list = "unchecked"

Time Zone Selection:

(UTC +08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi

Actual Current Geo-Location:

Sichuan Province / China

t3lKompetenzmon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 28 (2,941 Views)

Re: This version of Skype is not supported in your region.

Btw. Moving 中文 (Chinese) to the top of the language preferences list and activating "make it easier to find apps in my preferred languages" in the store does not cause the store to present a localized client (i.e. TOM client).

t3lKompetenzmon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 28 (2,930 Views)

Re: "This version of Skype is not supported in your region"

Just had the same problem in Shanghai. It appears you can get around this by getting your son to go to the outlook.com website, signing in with "Windows Live" account, then where it says "Mail" select "People" and you can use the Web version of Skype. (Just don't tell anybody or they'll probably ban that too!)

busyphil
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 28 (2,969 Views)

Which Windows version are your contacts in China running?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13472
Message 6 of 28 (2,939 Views)

I'm running Windows 8.1 :manembarrassed:

busyphil
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 28 (2,908 Views)

I'm in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, and I have the same problem. Any advice?
Thank you.

马缇娜
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 28 (2,902 Views)

[ Edited ]

Busyphil, do you use the preview version?

Can you check for the Skype version you are using?

-----
If answer was helpful please give Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution for other users. Thanks!
Mart
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 209
Message 9 of 28 (2,895 Views)

Hi All, im in Shenzhen and i have the same issue. Skype was working on my W8 8 tablet yesterday but suddenly today i started getting this message, went to my W7 laptop and not a problem, not a problem with Apple Macbook as well.

Seems to be affecting W8 only but not sure if it is Skype/Microsoft issue or as usal a Chinese great firewall issue, suppose only time will tell but **bleep** annoying.

James308au
Tourist
Message 10 of 28 (2,826 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling