microphone problem in windows 8.1

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

microphone problem in windows 8.1

Hello,

Since the update for Windows 8.1 on Surface RT the microphone has not worked with Skype.

It did work perfectly before Win 8.1 update.

I have tried checking the settings and everything seems to be set up correctly although there must be something I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nevica
Posted from
nevica
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 1 of 22 (17,333 Views)

Re: microphone problem in windows 8.1

Same here plus my  webcam no longer functions, everything worked with windows 8, according to my troubleshooting I have all the updated drivers installed

MedDevMan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 22 (17,295 Views)

Me too...just had an IT guy come check it and he said everything is set up correctly...just one more of my continual problems with 8.1.  I loved windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 since I was told it would solve many problems and instead, I run across more problems every day.  My IT guy told me to go buy a headset!  This is not a solution, but a workaround.  What is going on with Skype and windows 8.1?

austintexasgirl
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 22 (17,184 Views)

So here is what worked for me, not sure why but it did. I uninstalled the driver for both my microphone and webcam and then re-installed them and voila they worked. So, perahps worth a try

my miccrophone was Conexant.

Regards

MedDevMan

MedDevMan
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 22 (17,155 Views)

Here is the fix.

1. Start up Skype
2. Swipe in from the left.
3. Select 'setting'
4. Select 'permissions'
5. Slide the slider bars of 'microphone' and 'webcams' to on.

Voilà - it's fixed.

Nevica
Posted from
nevica
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 22 (17,151 Views)

Sorry, should read swipe in from the right in the above message.

Posted from
nevica
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 22 (17,150 Views)

Dear all,

Thanks for the tips...none of them worked but I found the key to finding what works through the posts...first of all, it was not as simple as going into the permissions and turning mic and webcam on - they were both on.  I then was trying to follow the other post about reinstalling the drivers but had to first figure out how to do this - i.e. where they could be found.  During this process I went followed the following tip:

Open Windows Sound Control Panel and click on the Communications tab. Select there the appropriate option for what Windows should do when communications activity is detected.

What I found was the microphone that I was trying to deinstall was showing there are the default and when I went to test it, I noted that on this tab, it was down to 0 volume.  I moved the volume to the max, tested it and then went into skype and voila...it worked!

What is irritating about all of this - guess it is real life - we all have problems and the fixes are in many cases different.  At any rate, thanks to this forum I was able to fix my problem!

austintexasgirl
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 22 (17,114 Views)

Hi,

Since Windows 8.1, I've had trouble with my microphone.  In the beginning of conversation, person on the other end of my Skype call can hear me, then suddenly, they can't hear me, but I can hear them perfectly.  I've tried FAQ, rebooting, settings, connectivity check...nothing seems to be working.  I'm using Skype for desktop since I use it for business.  Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Misty-Skype
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 22 (17,105 Views)

I was also facing the same problem and my solution was also different. But all these tips helped finding it.
I went to Control panel, Hardwares and sounds (or sg like that) and there I found that there are two microphones installed, a built-in one and an outer one. I had to delete the last one (which I in fact was not existing) and then the built-in one started functioning.

fudrajzgep
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 22 (13,433 Views)

Well is good to see that some of you have found the solution, but here's my problem:

I found out that the mic volume goes down everytime I speak when in a call on Skype (metro app for Windows 8.1). So I have to keep the mic properties open and keep turninr the volume up, without being able to see the other person I'm talking to.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, checking the options iver Skype (which are very limited), and all that stuff...

Any suggestions?

SilentRoc
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 22 (13,397 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling