add skype to task bar in windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

add skype to task bar in windows 8

I have skype in my start menu but can't figure out how to put a short cut in the task bar in windows 8

mattrice74
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 14 (31,165 Views)

Re: add skype to task bar in windows 8

[ Edited ]

You can create a new desktop shortcut for Modern Skype.

Try This.

Right click on the desktop >> create a new shortcut

Type: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "skype:"

modernskypeds.PNG

Click Next

Type: ModernSkype in Type a Name for this shortcut field.

modernskypeds1.PNG

Then Click Finish.

You now have a shortcut to Skype apps.

You can create an icon for this shortcut.

Log on to ICO converter

Cick Choose File and search for .png in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_1.3.0.112_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c\images\s_logo_30x30.png

Then Click Convert. New icon will be downloaded.

icoconverter.PNG

Now Right click on ModernSkype desktop shortcut msicon3.PNG and click Propeties then Click Change Icon and locate the downloaded icon file, Click OK.

msicon1.PNG 

msds.PNG

Now drag the icon to the taskbar and it should be pinned.

pinms.png

pinms1.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6880
Message 2 of 14 (31,159 Views)

I'm 76 years of age and there must be an easier way that this to put a Skype icon on the taskbar or desktop.

Confused123
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 14 (28,919 Views)

the ICO converter will not accept a cut/paste of your C:windowsapp/microsoft address for linking to the skype icon. also, I can't find windows Apps.microsoft.skype on my computer. please advise. thanks for your help!
etphonehome
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 14 (26,836 Views)

I am 79 years of age and i agree with you..ridiculous how difficult to create a skype shortcut!!!

sontag650
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 14 (24,941 Views)

The solution that worked for me was to go to the Skype homepage, or better http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/, and instead of clicking on the green button that says Get Skype for Windows 8, I looked below at the other versions, specifically Windows Desktop. I clicked on the Learn More link and then saw another green button, but this one said Get Skype for Windows Desktop. I downloaded that package, installed it and walked thru the setup wizard which then opened Skype for me in the familiar fashion. Once it was open, I could then click on the icon on the taskbar and select Pin to Taskbar!

Wow! Just, wow!

PaliBaacsi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 6 of 14 (24,930 Views)

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/ This is the page you want to download Skype for Desktop.
PaliBaacsi
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (24,929 Views)

PaliBaacsi
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (24,928 Views)

thanks for the tip. It saved lots of my lifetime. I like to see the Skypa status and calls missed in the task bar as before, and sometimes I do think Microsoft people are not aware that not every change is to teh better. Your tip woked easy and fast.

johna_b
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 14 (23,455 Views)

I agree with you all folks. Thaks for the solution. Very easy and this way I was able to use the programa as always.

maricab17
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 14 (20,031 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling