Windows 8 - screen share

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Windows 8 - screen share

Hi!

I have a problem with my skype.. I have tried to see how i can share the screen, but one problem... I cant see the symbol ( + ) on the screen.... I have tried to uninstall and install again.. but this dosnt help.... so..what can i do???

aabsolut88
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 27
Message 1 of 74 (262,642 Views)

Re: Windows 8 - screen share

I think most don't understand the metro UI.... if its in the metro interface its meant to be simple.... I'll put it like this... Can you share screens on Skype with your cell phone? No. Hence, with that in mind if you are using anything from the Metro screen think mobile. You sir need to go and download the 'DESKTOP' version of Skype for windows 8. Your (+) symbol will be there.
BrentB08
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 2 of 74 (262,580 Views)

Screen sharing feature is not available in the modern version of Skype.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6753
Message 3 of 74 (262,569 Views)

Is it GOING to be?

You dont offer simplicity by sacrificing functionality.  Screen sharing isn't some extremely complicated feature, its simple and vital to the program.  What a garbage mindset some people have.

News flash, windows 8 and metro apps are on desktop too.  Metro apps are not JUST for mobile.

Ignitethewill
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 26
Message 4 of 74 (262,556 Views)

AGAIN.... as I said I don't think everyone doesn't really understand the purpose of the METRO UI. Metro sole purpose is to bring the Mobile and stationary PC world together. This includes Desktops, Laptops, tablets, and cell phones. What you AREN'T understanding is that not all those devices (ESPECIALLY in the last two categories) will be able to handle those FUNCTIONALITIES. The Modern UI SOLE PURPOSE ARE MAINLY FOR TABLETS AND PHONES, but you as a window 8 x86 user have the benefit of being able to use them too. ARM devices and x86 have two VASTLY different limitations. In order for it to be a smooth process between all platforms features will be removed. I hate to be rude, but the only garbage mindset here is yours. Next you'll complain to MS about why there is limited flash in IE10 Metro? Skype staff is trying...cut them some slack as Win8 hasn't been out that long.
BrentB08
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 5 of 74 (262,537 Views)

We'll be adding new and old features (including screen sharing) to the Skype for Windows 8 app in the next months. We don't know when screen sharing will be available though.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11841
Message 6 of 74 (262,537 Views)

Thank you Claudius for the update, for proving me right, and for proving that it is not reasonable to sacrifice functionality for something as simple as a change in interface.

The future is looking bright.

Ignitethewill
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 26
Message 7 of 74 (262,299 Views)

I've had the problem of trying to download the Desktop version. I'm able to to hit yes - allow the program to make changes blah blah and nothing happens

Tbone11
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 74 (259,354 Views)

Tbone11 wrote:

I've had the problem of trying to download the Desktop version. I'm able to to hit yes - allow the program to make changes blah blah and nothing happens

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

redownload and reinstall latest Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6753
Message 9 of 74 (259,352 Views)

Any news on when screen sharing is available? I'm eager to use the metro version as I love the way it helps keep my desktop un-cluttered, but this function is absolutely necessary for me before I do. Thanks!

unclesol
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 74 (257,515 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling