Windows 8 camera not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 8 camera not working

[ Edited ]

My camera is not working with skype.  It works with an app from the desk top, but does not work with the W8 camera app.  Any ideas if I can fix it?

Cheers

Greg

*removed for privacy*

gregory_carroll
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (7,954 Views)

Re: Windows 8 camera not working

Have you tried with Windows generic driver for your webcam?

you can also try manycam

http://download.manycam.com
http://www.manycam.com/applications/?view=skype

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 5990
Message 2 of 10 (7,951 Views)

If your camera is not working with the Windows 8 camera app neither, then your webcam drivers are either out to date or your camera is not supported by Windows 8. 

Please try to update drivers and then try again. 

-----
If answer was helpful please give Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution for other users. Thanks!
Mart
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 194
Message 3 of 10 (7,940 Views)

Sorry to butt in here, but I have the same problem. 

Laptop with no webcam so I tried my old Trust WB-3350p that only has drivers up to Vista, but works fine in Win7 and Linux and also in the desktop area of Win8 using an older version of Skype.

I've run Windows update. The webcam doesn't work in the camera area on the new interface, but its drivers install an application there, AMCap, that does work.

I am not happy about installing a third party bodge such as Manycam.

Billaboard
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 10 (7,930 Views)

Just for info, I've tried ManyCam, and it doesn't show any virtual camera in the Metro version of Skype, but does provide an extra virtual camera option in the desktop old version. It's the same camera and picture, of course, but has a logo on it in the virtual camera.

It looks to me as if Microsoft has broken Skype in several ways. I hope someone is working on this.

Billaboard
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (7,914 Views)

And for further info, I have tried another webcam that has always installed and run on other OS's as HP Basic Starter Camera.

It installs and works in the desktop old Skype, not seen in the Metro Skype.

One other note, I said the Trust webcam drivers installed AMCap as an application on the metro screen. I found another application indicator with the title "Uninstall" and a sort of squiggle logo. I clicked it and was presented with a sequence of dialogues none of which said what was being uninstalled. There was one which asked if I wanted to uninstall iDriver, the app and all its features. The cancel button here just returned over and over, so I OK's and the Trust drivers were gone.

I use a lot of different webcams for different tasks (inspection, demonstration etc). Some have own drivers, most use this HP Baic Starter driver.

Billaboard
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (7,899 Views)

not working
lubahudi1234
Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (2,155 Views)

Re: Windows 8 camera not working with warning "Camera is being used by another App' showing

For 3 months, I kept getting the essage: Camera is being used by another App. I tried everything I read off this site. Then (1) I decided to SWITH OFF all LIVE TILES on all Apps. (2) I UNINSTALLED the only App that WAS USING THE CAMERA: Point Grab Hand Gesture Tool. I don't really know what did it, but the camera is working and I can take photos, videos and use Skype. It may work for you too but only if you do not need the clashing flash Point Grab Hand Gesture Tool. In my case, I didn't need it but WANTED to use Skype...

BreezeBeta
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 10 (1,523 Views)

Re: Windows 8 camera not working with warning "Camera is being used by another App' showing

exactly the same ! 

how to uninstall this damned pointgrab !?

I did not install it actually.

Maybe it appears when I updated the system to 8.1...

but it is strange as my daughter does not have this trouble whereas she updated to 8.1 too but on a different computer

Mamieparachute
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (1,200 Views)

I neen may webcam TVISTO ACM 330 working in my conversation because de problem is de amcap working with windows xp system, please is possible try a solution of compatoablity cam

?

gergio9
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (1,044 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling