Windows 8 Skype login ?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Windows 8 Skype login ?

Don't you need a Microsoft account for Windows 8 anyway? If that's the case, you don't need to create a 'new' Microsoft account to log into Skype, just use the one you created for Windows.

Yanchang
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 11 of 46 (3,602 Views)

No, you don't need a MS acct for Win8. And some people just don't wanna merge their accounts or share their address book with Microsoft. So yes, that was the question. The previous poster did find a reasonable solution, which is not to use the Skype app, but Skype for desktop.

cipcirip
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 12 of 46 (3,525 Views)

skype done **bleep**ed up. why the heck would we need windows login if we already have skype id. skype will start losing customers soon
deanharperjr
Novel Tourist
Message 13 of 46 (3,212 Views)

I completely agree. Skype for Windows 8 is a good example of "innovation" in the sense of making well-functioning and simple things more complicated...

jakobeus1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 14 of 46 (3,140 Views)

just got my windows 8 latop and I am very annoyed that skype wont let you login without linking to my microsoft account. My microsoft account has so many contacts and I keep a small number of contacts that I use on my skype... now i have to look through hundreds of my msn contacts to find my skype contacts... VERY ANNOYINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

pravien78
Novel Adventurer
Message 15 of 46 (3,090 Views)

Totally agree. I installed the normal version. SCREW WINDOWS 8

oliviervpiel
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 16 of 46 (2,866 Views)

I've merged with microsoft login and cannot find where I can just make a dang call on skype. I've look at "all programs" on the windows/Toshiba tile thingy, and do not see skype. Please how do I just make a simple video call on skype after I have udated to windows 8, merged to mircrosoft and cannot find the simple video call place...

Jen100
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 17 of 46 (2,815 Views)

I feel less pregnant reading your story.  I had Skype account since millenium one.  With new laptop (which had ghost of former used) Skype insists I merge accounts.  I don't want to merge with that ghost; my contacts are gone, I only have pay landline screen and all requests for help bring back a token for new password and that URL is broken.  Yikes!  Has Skype died the ugly death of all over-extended corps?

jdtynan
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 18 of 46 (2,754 Views)

Sadly Skype sold out to Microsoft so MS decided to force everyone to understand they know best.  Remember, Microsoft knows what your needs are better than you do.  

Now, as to the solution:

1) Download skype for Desktop:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

This way you won't have to log in with a Microsoft ID, you can just use your Skype ID.  If you have already Merged your Skype ID, and want to unlink them there is a FAQ:

2) https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12211/how-do-i-unlink-my-skype-and-microsoft-or-facebook-accounts

Yes, this happened because so many of us complained about the issue.

Once you have installed the Skype for Desktop, it's back to how the old Skype looked.  IF you haven't already merged then you're fine.  Once you have unlinked you should have the contact back to looking normal.

Hope this helps.

MrEd_Texas
Novel Adventurer
Message 19 of 46 (2,703 Views)

Skype on windows 8 is annoying.. :(n):

manuD
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 20 of 46 (2,639 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling