Windows 8 Skype connections settings

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 Skype connections settings

Hello everyone,

i've been trying to set up my windows 8 skype app connection settings however i am unable to perform such configurations,i wanted to disable upnp,disable tcp and udp liten ports and also http listen ports and disable file transfer , i could disable that via windows registry using policies and even disable skypeAPI however those registry settings no longer work for the new 8 skype app...i really need to disable those stuff for security purposes, can anyone help me out with this? i need to know a registry setting or maybe another way to setup and disable those things...any help here is greatly appreciated and i look forward for a reply!
thanks in advance,

Ogre programmer

Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Unfortunately, you can't. This features / options are not available in modern apps / Skype.

Also note that, Port 80 must be forwarded for modern Skype app to operate properly.

Please See this thread.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8/No-proxy-settings-option-in-Windows-8-Skype/m-p/1155558/highlight/true#M299

View solution in original post
OgreProgrammer
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 12 (15,607 Views)

Re: Windows 8 Skype connections settings

Unfortunately, you can't. This features / options are not available in modern apps / Skype.

Also note that, Port 80 must be forwarded for modern Skype app to operate properly.

Please See this thread.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8/No-proxy-settings-option-in-Windows-8-Skype/m-p/1155558/high...

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6518
Message 2 of 12 (15,571 Views)

well that sucks so much then, i was lookin for a faster and more secure skype version for windows 8 guess i was wrong..everything seems pretty safe except for the upnp option and tcp,udp,http port listen...thats a bad implementation why not give the user options for that?

it just breaks all the integration purposes?

anyways ...wont use skype for a while till they release a version which allows u to change those settings ..i have been digging into the skype apps folder and looking into the scripts files to see if i could change it manually but no luck...couldnt find the options to disable it..

i got my pc hacked twice even using a whole bunch of polcies and app locker,bitlocker a 128bit password and a big one for the standard user too with unicode characters but i got hacked and i dont want to again..

anyways thanks for replying and if it has a hidden way to disable those options please send me a pm coz i really need those disabled!

thanks in advance,

Ogre programmer

OgreProgrammer
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (15,556 Views)

Well i guess i found part of the solution myself? how can it be impossible to change the connection settings if the shared.xml file is still available and some stuff still work as the desktop version, for example the <DisableUPnP>1</DisableUPnp>,<DisablePort80>1</DisablePort80> and DisableUDP and DisableUDPListening work?

the only thing i need to change which ive been striving to find out is the DisableTCPListening which i still couldnt disable, can anyone add something on the top of that ? i am really willing to disable the tcplistening ...any thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Ogre 3d Programmer

OgreProgrammer
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 12 (14,763 Views)

that link isn't working. what is Port 80? is that something that will actually make my Skype for windows 8 work?
kmase80
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 12 (14,639 Views)

Hi Kmase80,

No need to forward port 80 , i actually have blocked it from my windows firewall and now skype only uses port 443...

if you want to have port 80 its ok but to me makes no sense at all, and it breaks with all the security purposes....

anyways i hope that an advanced user can also provide me the extra information i need to disable tcp port listening completely..

thats the only thing i still couldnt disable but the rest of it i already did..

thanks

OgreProgrammer
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (14,604 Views)

It keeps saying on my Windows 8 skype: try again or reopen your skype. Can you help? (I am Polish and I don't know if I translated it right)
ArthurDabrowski
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 12 (12,352 Views)

I was actually looking for a way to go into webcam settings for Skype Windows 8 and this is not easily or readily available, not to say that they are not. Apps are mostly meant to be more simplified and watered down to make it more streamlined. I also have the Windows 7 regular Skype desktop app downloaded and have used that as well since it has all the options and settings at the top, including setting up the webcam and audio and making changes if needed. In the Windows 8 apps, and apps in general, much of this is just not seen as necessary, as a computer, and what makes Windows 8 so good, desktop screen and Metro apps screen, is the fact that it seeks to make Windows 7 better and be more versatile and user friendly. I still do not use the start menu app I installed, even though I have the Start 8 five dollar program  that puts the Windows 7 style start menu option back just in case I would ever need it. You know what? I rarely, if ever, use it as I am a big fan of the Windows File Explorer that everyone needs to know and get used to, as they can identify files for further uses and understand the folders and files settings and control panel. And I put the icons on the desktop most used for faster access. I am looking into the Windows 8.1 upgrade coming throughout the year as this will be a major upgrade and will address many comments of users and making Windows 8 even better. It is faster and more secure than Windows 7 as well.  I will address the users who feel they have to tinker with all of the TCP/IP and ports. You really do not need to do that, as a good firewall, anti-malware (I use 2 of them), anti-virus and updated Internet Explorer (10, soon to be 11) browser will address all of that. The best I have tested and found is from Emsisoft, being the Internet Security Pack, which includes a firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware, and is proven to detect 100 percent of viruses and malware, which no other programs EVER accomplished. The second anti-malware program, as you can use two of them, which is recommended for full across-the-board malware detection, is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I NEVER get viruses of any kind, and I have no issues with hackers. I hope this helps. Make use of the desktop and the Windows 8 apps together. The more you do, the better you will see how this all comes easily together. Keep Windows 8 (Professional 64-bit is what I use) up-to-date as well, run software updates daily for all programs, easily done and quick, and if you still use a standard spindle hard drive, defragment and optimize it once a week. Glary Utilities is good for that, and what is built in to Windows 8. I recommend getting away from those types of hard drives, though, and going with the solid start hard drives (SATA III connection), because they do not need to be defragmented, and they are far and away much faster, more reliable, quieter and smoother in access. You can still use a standard hard drive for storage, although as the larger storage solid states go down in price as the 128 to 250 GB solid state drives have done, I will go to a solid state for ALL boot-up, access and storage overall for faster and better performance completely. And when you run the Windows Index ratings from the control panel, a solid state hard drive will be tops for the scores to! And a 64-bit version is needed for access to more than 4 GB of RAM memory. 32-bit versions really are pointless now. Plus, the more RAM memory installed, the faster your computer will be as well.  And a desktop versus a laptop is better for overall speed, performance, cooling, and especially graphics. A laptop is fine for general use, but never good for overall performance and graphics. You can do so much more with a desktop Windows PC, especially one you have built or build yourself, recommended over a store-bought model.  Just make smart choices and relax, have fun. Look for the 8.1 update coming. And above all love your family, friends and neighbors! Peace, God Bless and have a good day! ~ Ernie Mink

erniecolorado1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 12 (10,785 Views)

I want to add I found an easy way that should also work within other Windows 8 apps as well to get to common settings. You simply move the mouse to the right of the screen or hit the Windows logo on the keyboard and C together to open up the Charms Bar, go to Settings and then Options. This will pull up most major settings for the Skype 8 for Windows App. Happy Computing friends!!! :happy:

Ernie Mink

Thornton, Colorado

erniecolorado1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 9 of 12 (10,775 Views)

In the Windows 8.1 Skype app you can hover the mouse arrow over the 'close' button in the upper right corner to open the "Charms" toolbar.  The 'Settings' tool is specifically for Skype.  This action is usually the same, but not always,  with the other WIndows 8.1 Apps and for those you have to hold down the Windows Logo key and press the 'C' key.  The WIndows 8.1 apps are those that fill your entire screen and cannot be reduced in size, very annoying.

DLG2
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 12 (3,135 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling