WINDOWS 8 : how to access technical options

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

WINDOWS 8 : how to access technical options

Can anyone tell me how to use Skype with Windows 8 just the way we could use it with Windows 7?   I mean : I can only make a video call (or call) and that's it...!   Where are all the other options, e.g. take a picture, check quality call, check sound or video options, see ALL video calls (from the very beginning) etc.   They seem to be vanished from the screen!

Please advise!  Many thanks!

Accepted Solution

by janaray

Hello all - 

Windows 8, as it's designed, is for computing beyond traditional laptops and computers - with touch interfaces and the ability to make the system seamless between your mobile, your tablet your computer and even your tv.  But there's a difference between an "app" and the desktop version of the program.  

The Skype "app" will load a simplified version of Skype that you can use to make your calls, however to get into the full functionality of Skype - inlcuding the menus that you speak of, you need to also download Skype for Windows Desktop, so you can manage your Skype the way you are used to.  http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

Both Skypes will work and can be running at the same time.  So you can load up the desktop version to make changes, but your "app" will be there to basically make and receive calls and IM's.  Hope that helps.  

View solution in original post
GEZEGEND
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 11 (20,485 Views)

Re: WINDOWS 8 : how to access technical options

Hello, here I am again... Surely... I can't be the only one having these problems!?  Any help?

GEZEGEND
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 11 (20,464 Views)

Hi, I am having the exact same problems.  I cant get a stndard menu ribbon or tool bar.  Really wish somebody would address that issue for Windows 8. 

helensophie1955
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 11 (20,443 Views)

I had the same problem. Put the mouse in the lower right corner to access settings for whatever program is running. One of the choices for Skype settings is Options.

See https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12112/how-do-i-manage-my-privacy-settings-in-skype-for-windows-8

mmorrison
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 11 (20,411 Views)

I'm having the same problems.  I can't access a menu bar on windows 8.

spp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 11 (20,406 Views)

Hello all - 

Windows 8, as it's designed, is for computing beyond traditional laptops and computers - with touch interfaces and the ability to make the system seamless between your mobile, your tablet your computer and even your tv.  But there's a difference between an "app" and the desktop version of the program.  

The Skype "app" will load a simplified version of Skype that you can use to make your calls, however to get into the full functionality of Skype - inlcuding the menus that you speak of, you need to also download Skype for Windows Desktop, so you can manage your Skype the way you are used to.  http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

Both Skypes will work and can be running at the same time.  So you can load up the desktop version to make changes, but your "app" will be there to basically make and receive calls and IM's.  Hope that helps.  

janaray
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 11 (19,714 Views)

[ Edited ]

Deleted

banjoguy
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 11 (19,443 Views)

Thank you! Windows 8 is so retarded (counter intuitive) in so many ways..
akash2001
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 11 (19,368 Views)

Hi, Everyone, I am very surprise that skype does not have option tab to make your voice mail over if you want to change it or to check other things like the desktop version. It seems that as we grow we forget the little people who made them who they are today, first microsoft comes out with windows 8, but forgets the same things that windows 7 had. I believe the skype should include a tab where you can make changes. What do you think?

This is the main reason, i turned 10 of my laptops from windows to linux ubuntu, Dont forget the little people who help skype become who they are today!

Thats All

mrubuntu1959
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 11 (14,945 Views)

That is what I call a very efficient reply!  Thank you so very much!  Now the mystery is solved!

GEZEGEND
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (14,874 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling