Video quality problems (Skype Windows 8 Store app)

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Video quality problems (Skype Windows 8 Store app)

hi,

I have recently bought Asus tablet with Windows 8 32bit. The problem I am experiencing is with the brightness of the video while using skype. It is very dark during video call. I have tried it with both cameras of my tablet. The lighting conditions are very good. I have a 4 year old laptop which has camera which is not as good as this tablet's but it produces a very bright and good quality video while using skype in the same conditions. I have tried changing the camera settings through camera app but to no effect. I resorted to skype for desktop. Again the video was very dark. I tried changing the video settings through this skype but as I save the settings, skype force closes and when next time I open skype for windows it is not able to detect my webcam. Can somebody please advise? I would really appreciate any help and support. Thanks.

Ali_85
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 18 (2,091 Views)

Hi,

Which version of Skype are you using?
Which exact model of Asus laptop are you using on which you are experiencing dark video?
Do you experience dark video in Windows 8 Camera app?

Thank you

kerojarun
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 149
Message 12 of 18 (2,084 Views)

The version of Skype app from windows store is 1.5.0.109.

The version of skype for desktop is 6.2.0.106.

I am using Asus VivoTab Smart me400c.

Default settings of Windows Camera app and Asus Camera app, both show my video as dark but the settings can be changed on both the app to output a better video. Although, change of these settings do not have any effect on Skype app or Skype for Desktop.

Skype app does not have any option to change video settings whereas Skype for Desktop does give that option but as I have mentioned in my previous post, when I change those settings on Skype for desktop, it force closes and when after a few minutes a start skype for desktop again, it does not detects my camera. I have to restart the Tablet for the camera to be detected again by Skype for dekstop. I hope this information would help you to figure out the problem. I would really appreciate the support to help solve this problem. Thanks.

Ali_85
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 18 (2,058 Views)

Hi,

We unfortunately don't have the exact tablet model as you do, but when we test the behaviour of cameras and set brightness in Win8 Camera App it also adjust the brightness in Skype.

What happens when you set high brightness in Win8 Camera App and then close restart Win8 Camera App. Is the brightness still high?

Thank you

kerojarun
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 14 of 18 (2,045 Views)

Hey I am having a problem with the video quality as well. When I skype my sister the view is very bad on both sides. We both have the same laptop as well and are using windows 8. We are also using the default camera on the laptop. If you guys can get back to me and find a solution to this that would  be awesome!!

Rasouli
Casual Adventurer
Message 15 of 18 (2,018 Views)

Hi,

Most probably you have a bad Internet connection with your sister, but to be sure in that only logs would give us a definite answer. Can you generate logs as described here and send the log file to kmudrovcic at hotmail?

Thank you

kerojarun
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 16 of 18 (1,965 Views)

Hello,

I had the same problem, but with a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga, a 13th months later.

When Skype is on, my own image seems dark. I do not know what is happening. Could you help me?

Thank you,
Ricardo

ricxav
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 17 of 18 (499 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hi Ricardo, Could you please go to Win8.1 Camera application, right mouse click on video, and on appeared menu on bottom part of screen, select 'Exposure' setting. There you can adjust darkness of the video. The setting will be saved and used in Skype. Let me know if it helps.
OksanaD
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 4
Message 18 of 18 (458 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling