Using an existing (non-Microsoft) Skype account wi...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using an existing (non-Microsoft) Skype account with the Skype app?

Recently did the upgrade to Windows 8 (x64). Installing apps on the Start (Metro) screen for ease of use. Installed the Skype app (currently also have the Skype Windows application installed). The regular application works just fine with my pre-existing Skype account. I also use this account on more than one non-Windows device. The Skype app seems to require that I use my Microsoft account, as opposed to letting me use my already existing account. This is not acceptable. I neither want nor need one account linked to the other, as I am pretty sure this will screw things up. Is there a way to use the Skype app with a non-Microsoft (or MS-linked) account? If not, why? And when can we expect this functionality?

Thanks.

wesleya
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 6 (2,443 Views)

Re: Using an existing (non-Microsoft) Skype account with the Skype app?

Yes please.  Please can someone reply to this post!

Zecchetti
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 6 (2,363 Views)

Did anyone find a solution to this?  I just added a new Windows8 laptop and have no desire to create a Microsoft account in order to access my already existing Skype account (which is a paid account that it appears Windows is not letting me access).

ajwskype
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 6 (1,968 Views)

ajwskype wrote:

Did anyone find a solution to this?  I just added a new Windows8 laptop and have no desire to create a Microsoft account in order to access my already existing Skype account (which is a paid account that it appears Windows is not letting me access).

I also have a paid Skype account and want to be able to use it on other devices such as a recently purchased Windows 8 desktop as well as a planned purchase of an ipadAir. Currently my account works just fine on my Windows XP desktop and another Windows 7 laptop. I don't think I should have to set up a separate account to be able to continue to use on new devices.

sosmerc
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 6 (628 Views)

You can install the desktop version on your Windows 8 laptop. The currently latest Skype 6.14.0.104 desktop version can be installed using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.14.0.104.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6986
Message 5 of 6 (625 Views)

try creating your microsoft account and tie it with your existing skype account, i believe thats the only way...

see this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/why-do-i-need-to-tie-skype-accoun...

Denzio
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 6 (274 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling