Update 1.7 - Video Messaging Preview

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Update 1.7 - Video Messaging Preview

[ Edited ]

Earlier this week, we mentioned that the preview of Skype Video Messaging for Skype for Windows 8 would be “coming soon.” Well, it is now available in the Windows Store.

Skype Video Messaging lets you record and send a video message to friends and family on Skype anytime, even when they’re unavailable; they can watch your Video Message next time they’re on Skype. Here’s what you can expect to see:

Skype for Windows 8 - Recording a Video Message

Recording a Video Message using Skype for Windows 8.

Skype for Windows 8 - Receiving a Video Message

Receiving a Video Message on Skype for Windows 8.

To get the preview of Skype Video Messaging, download the latest version of Skype for Windows 8 now from the Windows Store.

As we continue to test Video Messaging in its early release, we’d love to hear your feedback so we can continue to make improvements. Please let us know what you think of this feature by posting here.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10256
Message 1 of 5 (2,205 Views)

Re: Update 1.7 - Video Messaging Preview

I am trying to send a video message to one of my contacts. Every time I record the video and then hit send, I get the error message, "Looks like there's a problem with your recording." The error happens immediately. Tried 3 different contacts.

Acer Iconia, Win8, Modern App

SpaceAce999
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 5 (2,188 Views)

I don't understand how I can send Video Messages to some of my contacts, but not all of them.

I noticed that the ones that can receive them, have "via Skype" located below the messaging/text box.

The contacts that don't allow Video Messages have 'via Messenger' on instead. What's the difference?

I thought Skype and Messenger were the same. Also, if the contacts need to have a 'via Skype'  label, how do I alter this to enable Video Messages. This is all very confusing.

Plop-Plop-Mouse
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 254
Message 3 of 5 (1,831 Views)

Great update!  Another unnecessary feature, while Skype still lacks VOLUME CONTROLS.  How is this possible?  Skype produces sound.  Sound is controlled by volume controls.  There are none, so Skype produces sound that cannot be controlled.  How was this overlooked?  Independent volume controls are NOT the same thing as global volume control.  If the sound of Skype is overpowering something else that is playing audio, what is Microsoft's official solution?  I'd love to hear it.  Thanks for adding more "bling" to Skype while ignoring its glaring issues.  Skype should not have been released, even as a beta product, without volume controls.

If this were a car, I'd be saying "thanks for adding a 7" touchscreen with Bluetooth and independent seat warmers, now how about a ****ing STEERING WHEEL?".

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 157
Message 4 of 5 (1,629 Views)

Thanks for your feedback on 1.7 which has been shared with the product team.
We've just released the 1.8 update with an enhanced HD video calling experience. Please update and continue with your feedback in this new topic: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8-from-Windows-Store/Update-1-8-Enhanced-HD-Video-Support/td-p...

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10256
Message 5 of 5 (1,542 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling