The new Skype for Windows 8.1 is here

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

The new Skype for Windows 8.1 is here

[ Edited ]

We are excited to announce the availability of Skype for Windows 8.1on a breadth of devices from our OEM partners and our friends at Surface. If you are still running Windows 8.0 please take a look at this tutorial on updating to Windows 8.1 for free. This way you can benefit from the new Skype 2.2 for Windows 8.1 update.

Apart from multiple smaller improvements on every corner of the app experience it will bring you a much improved feature set for multitasking. Part of it is the new notification widget that allows you to accept calls even on the lock screen of your Windows 8.1 device:

blue_lockscreen.png

Best of all with Windows 8.1, Skype will automatically move to the side when you select any link in Skype or shared item, enabling you to do more while you chat. You can also snap Skype and adjust the size of the window, so whether you’re watching a show, listening to music, playing a game together or co-editing a document, you can do more while staying connected to those that matter to you:

side-by-side-view.png

We hope that you love this Skype for Windows 8.1 release as much as we do, and you can bet you’ll be seeing continual improvements and new functionality from us in the coming months. Try Skype for Windows 8.1 today and please share your feedback here on the Skype Community.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10212
Message 1 of 143 (39,642 Views)

Re: The new Skype for Windows 8.1 is here

:mad:

almsafr558
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 30
Message 2 of 143 (39,466 Views)

I hate the new Skype for Win8.1. What is up with my (unused for years) importing my Messenger contacts? Tried to unlink, and now I have to sign into an MS account to start Skype, whidch is how I got them linked to start with. Cannot find settings. Cannot find how to delete contacts. CAnnot find any "What's new help". This program is a worthless pile of junk. How do I uninstall it (yes I am new to Win8, so don't understand why it isn't listed in Control Panle / Software). At no time was I asked if I wanted this crap on my computer or given a choice to install the old version. PLEASE tell me how to get rid of this junk, and how to install the old version of Skype that worked just fine and intuitively under Windows 7.

DBoydNL
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 52
Message 3 of 143 (39,242 Views)
Blackhead
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 4 of 143 (39,176 Views)

i want work skype on window 8.1 now i am still angry becayse it n owork i want update install

kamal127760
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 5 of 143 (38,957 Views)

jhhhhhhhhhh

salim-larbie-50
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 13
Message 6 of 143 (38,901 Views)

download skype for windows desktop, install it, then you can use it ass your normally did

to uninstall skype for windows 8, go to the metro interface on win 8, go to all apps, on win 8 is that right click, all apps, on win 8.1 is it the arrow below, right click on skype, and than choose in the bar below, uninstall

Wimpi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 7 of 143 (38,705 Views)

I've updated the system to 8.1 on my Surface RT tablet and was forced to switch to skype app from the message hub. This skype app is totally unusable. It always exits, loses messages, starts slowly. Messaging is a key feature for me, so I can't update my PC to win 8.1 until it won't work reliable. It was a big mistake from MS to replace message hub by skype.
Posted from
VRobert
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 17
Message 8 of 143 (38,674 Views)

DBoydNL wrote:

I hate the new Skype for Win8.1. What is up with my (unused for years) importing my Messenger contacts? Tried to unlink, and now I have to sign into an MS account to start Skype, whidch is how I got them linked to start with. Cannot find settings. Cannot find how to delete contacts. CAnnot find any "What's new help".

Sorry to hear about your trouble with this new release. We have prepared an intro video that shows your around in the new Skype for Windows 8.1: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12101/getting-started-with-skype-windows-8-or-above

If you find out it's time to clean up your Messenger contact list the easiest is to fire up this page in your browser: https://people.live.com 

Managing your Skype contacts can be done in the client as shown here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12107/adding-contacts-windows-8-or-above

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10212
Message 9 of 143 (38,600 Views)

Hello,

I made an upgrade from 8 to 8.1 on my Windows PC and Skype stopped working afterwards. First, it was a pasword issue and then I just couldn't launch Skype. Each time I tried to launch it would take me back to the Start screen. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing, yet no change. Please, help.

Thanks.

sheot
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 12
Message 10 of 143 (37,854 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling