Skype wont work

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype wont work

ive recently been having problems with my Skype, i have windows 8 and when i first downlaoded it, it worked fine, then a week or two ago it stopped working completely and now wont work at all nomatter what i try, ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it still doesnt work

a solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Kybet
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (385 Views)

Re: Skype wont work

Are you using the Skype for Windows 8 app that you installed from the Windows 8 Store (that's a fullscreen application that shows a Skype blue colored screen + logo on startup) or are you using Skype for Windows Desktop, e.g. the "classic" Skype version that is sporting a windowed look?

What happens now if your start the app? Any error message shown? do you see the sign in screen?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11811
Message 2 of 11 (379 Views)

im using the skype that i downloading from the windows 8 store, if i start the app it opens up perfectly, but says im offline, i click on available and it just highlights offline and available at the same time and does not let me send or receive anything

Kybet
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (373 Views)

Are you using any antivirus application that might prevent Skype from connecting?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11811
Message 4 of 11 (366 Views)

im using Norton but thats never stopped me using Skype in the 2 years ive been connected

Kybet
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (352 Views)

Which version of Norton? NIS? NAV? 360? SEPM?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6868
Message 6 of 11 (351 Views)

Kybet
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (349 Views)

Please add/allow C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder to Norton's Firewall settings

From main page of Norton 360, Select Settings

navmain.PNG

AntiVirus and SONAR Exclusions >> Items to Exclude from Scans >> Configure [+] >> Scan Exclusions >> Add >> Locate WindowsApps folder under Program Files >> Check Include Subfolders >> OK.

AntiVirus and SONAR Exclusions >>Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR >> Configure [+] >> Scan Exclusions >> Add >> Locate WindowsApps folder under Program Files >> Check Include Subfolders >> OK.

navconfig.PNG

navlocate.PNG

In the Settings window, click OK (Save settings).

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 11 (348 Views)

nope that doesnt change anything, i thought it may be because im on Windows 8? plus my security settings were the exact same when i had skype working

Kybet
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (344 Views)

Have you already allowed the WindowsApps folder to norton's settings? Sometimes Security settings need to be updated.

Temporary disable Norton Antivirus

From main page of Norton, Settings >> Computer >> Real Time Protection >> Turn Off Auto-Protect.

nismain.PNG

disablenorton.PNG

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 10 of 11 (329 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling