Skype isn't working - Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype isn't working - Windows 8

When I start Skype sometimes it will disconnect then exit altogether and this happens everytime I use skype. When I try to restart it and try to log in it tells me that I am already logged into skype on this computer but when I try to end the process in taskmanager it just won't end. The skype app won't download telling me there is some kind of error or just not downloading then refreshing the page. I don't know what it is with Skype and my Windows 8 but Skype works fine on my Windows 7.

SprinCheeseVill
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (3,011 Views)

Re: Skype isn't working - Windows 8

Try Below:

reset skype in safe mode w/n, run Skype and disable uPnP.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8/Can-t-login-to-skype/m-p/1351451/highlight/true#M6208

you can also try to disabling automatic startup of Skype.

Tools >> Options... >> General settings >> Uncheck "Start Skype when I start Windows."

Restart to Normal Mode.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 8205
Message 2 of 8 (3,002 Views)

[ Edited ]

I gree with you. Windows 8 Skype app really sucks. i dont really unserstand being software crocodile and IT giant, how microsoft released worst app? How would microsoft make windows 8 popular without nice working apps? I get always one message unable to login, try again. i am sick of it.

Rao.N
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 8 (2,629 Views)

It also look like the screen sharing option is disabled on the application. A function I use alot, so I

can´t use min win8 labtop for my skype meetings - what a shame....

Zaqwsx
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 8 (2,605 Views)

Zaqwsx wrote:

It also look like the screen sharing option is disabled on the application. A function I use alot, so I

can´t use min win8 labtop for my skype meetings - what a shame....

If you want all Skype features to be available then you can install the "nornal" desktop version on your Win8 computer.

The currently latest Skype 6.7.0.102 desktop version can be installed using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.7.0.102.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7424
Message 5 of 8 (2,596 Views)

Thanks! That did the trick. I actually prefer the "classic" desktop version. I like Windows 8, and 8.1 is even better, but the Sype UI was easier to manage in Windows 7. Thanks for posting the direct link too--it was a time-saver.

Joey Morgan

JoeyMorgan2012
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (2,318 Views)

I just bought the windows surface rt. Everytime I use the Skype app I can't see anyone on the other end. they can see me but I can't see them. i have uninstalled and re-installed with no luck. What is going on?

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
jamiLVaughan
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 8 (2,302 Views)

I have the skype app on windows 8. And for some reason, it was working just fine for the past few days and now when I go on it shows that im offline and that all my contacts are as well, and none of my calls are going through, but on my cell phone they are. And It wont let me sign out. 

Brittany0
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (862 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling