Skype for win 8 has no "TOOLS" option

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype for win 8 has no "TOOLS" option

Skype for win 8 has not "tools" option.

Unable to make Audio & Video adjustments.

Unable to activate camera.

Why the hell cant I use the "good old Skype"

Sveto
Former Staff

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Hi guys,

1. For settings start Skype for Wind8ws and move your mouse to the upper right corner or swipe from right and select Settings.
2. For voice msg and all the classic features use the desktop version of Skype:
https://support.skype.com/faq/FA12162/how-do-i-get-the-desktop-version-of-skype-on-windows-8

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post
solikhambatta
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 1 of 51 (30,976 Views)

Re: Skype for win 8 has no "TOOLS" option

i have same problem  - new laptop- new Windows 8. Older version much easier to sort out if anything wrong.

I can't be heard or seen at other end

jetuohy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 51 (30,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

Is there nobody in the world who can help us with the maze that is called Windows 8? How can I see which port Skype is using? Access to Tools/Options would be nice. Windows 8 has to be Microsoft's/the world's worst ever OS. They need to provide comprehensive instructions.

anything
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 51 (30,197 Views)

I too would like to know how to access tools, particularly so that I can adjust my voicemail settings.  It appears as though there is no way possible for me to do this!  I feel so limited with the Windows 8 OS!!!  This is stupid.

From Skype's website, it says: Create your own voice message greeting direct from Skype.In the menu click Tools > Options > Calls > Voice messages

Will someone please show me how to do this with Skype on Windows 8??

nickalex86
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 51 (30,195 Views)

@anything

I agree.  And the irony is that what Microsoft is trying to acheive here is simplicity.  Simplicity by hiding the moderately useful features to make the user hunt for them, and removing the highly useful ones so that after hunting you only find that what you are looking for has been removed.

They call this innovation.  Intuitiveness.  Progress.

I call it a load of garbage.

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 456
Message 5 of 51 (30,175 Views)

Hi guys,

1. For settings start Skype for Wind8ws and move your mouse to the upper right corner or swipe from right and select Settings.
2. For voice msg and all the classic features use the desktop version of Skype:
https://support.skype.com/faq/FA12162/how-do-i-get-the-desktop-version-of-skype-on-windows-8

Hope this helps.
Sveto
Former Staff
Kudos: 7
Message 6 of 51 (30,170 Views)

I understand you but simplicity, innovation, intuitiveness, progress...all takes time :wink:
Patience, you don't get them in an instant. It would be called pure magic otherwise :happy:
Sveto
Former Staff
Kudos: 7
Message 7 of 51 (30,163 Views)

very useful - worked perfectly. thanks.

Why don't they offer this as option on W8 screen

jetuohy
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 51 (30,161 Views)

jetuohy wrote:

Why don't they offer this as option on W8 screen

We are following the design principles for Windows 8 apps here. The idea is to remove menus as you know them from the classic Windows user interface. Instead you use the charms (especially the right hand one) to invoke options. You will see this across all Windows 8 apps.

The advantage is that you have a very clean and focussed main application interface and have the rarely needed options on a second level access.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 14262
Message 9 of 51 (30,152 Views)

@mrluver

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect big steps forward the immediately, but I don't expect giant leaps backwards either. And let's be honest, that's exactly what Skype for Windows 8 is.  To me, not stripping a program of nearly every useful function is not "magic". Functionality should take priority over looks, and at this point the new Skype is about as useful as a payphone.

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 456
Message 10 of 51 (30,076 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling