Skype black screen

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype black screen

Hi all. I have a problem. When I go to Tools-Options-Video options to test my camera, instead of seeing my face, there is a black screen box (I even tried changing the brightness, contrast etc but that didnt help). When I also video call a friend, I can see them, but they cant see me (My video box on the bottom-right-hand corner is black). The very strange thing is when I click Tools-Options-Video options-Change your profile picture (the box is still black) and then "Take your picture" my picture is captured and I can see the snapshop of me :/

My webcam works as I have tested it in a program AMCAP and I can see myself.  My DirectX is up-to-date and I didnt have any other video-cam programs running at the same time. Help would be much appreciated.

tamirtse
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 28 (7,300 Views)

Re: Skype black screen

What type of webcam?

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Which graphics card installed on your PC?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 8190
Message 2 of 28 (7,294 Views)

My webcam is: USB camera (Driver provider: Microsoft. Driver version: 6.2.9200.16384)

I am running Windows 8 32 bit

Graphics card: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

tamirtse
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 28 (7,284 Views)

you can run Speccy and post the info from it (save as text and remove your windows serial no.,compress and attach then)
piriform.com/speccy

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 28 (7,278 Views)

Same problem here, my webcam shows black screen at this end.

Responses on these forums about graphics cards, cameras and configurations for each user with this problem are a bit of a diversion IMHO.

I was using skype successfully on this same machine, same camera, same graphics card .. only last week.

Then the machine was running on W7 32 bit, now it has been upgraded to W8 32 bit.

The only thing that has changed, is the OS.

In addtion, MSN, Yahoo and other apps can all access and display my webcam perfectly well. The 'odd one out' is Skype - go figure.

Further, 'solutions' on these forums advising people to download 3rd party software to fix the issue, is absurb.

First, it is not 'fixing' the problem, it is simply putting the effort, time and risk in the hands of the user; whereas any responsible vendor would fix their own problems themselves.

Please Skype, step up and do the right thing.

hedo_2010
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 28 (7,256 Views)

tamirtse wrote: My webcam is: USB camera (Driver provider: Microsoft. Driver version: 6.2.9200.16384)

I am running Windows 8 32 bit

Graphics card: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter 

What is your graphics card name / model?

You are using Windows generic driver for your graphics card. try updating the driver downloaded directly from the manufacturers website.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 28 (7,247 Views)

hedo_2010 wrote: Same problem here, my webcam shows black screen at this end. 

Responses on these forums about graphics cards, cameras and configurations for each user with this problem are a bit of a diversion IMHO. 

I was using skype successfully on this same machine, same camera, same graphics card .. only last week.

Then the machine was running on W7 32 bit, now it has been upgraded to W8 32 bit.

The only thing that has changed, is the OS. 

In addtion, MSN, Yahoo and other apps can all access and display my webcam perfectly well. The 'odd one out' is Skype - go figure.

Further, 'solutions' on these forums advising people to download 3rd party software to fix the issue, is absurb.

First, it is not 'fixing' the problem, it is simply putting the effort, time and risk in the hands of the user; whereas any responsible vendor would fix their own problems themselves.

Which graphics card installed on your PC?

What type of Webcam?

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 28 (7,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem:

usb 2.0 camera driver

microsoft basic display adapter driver

I think is problem in display adapter, my graphic card is integrated in board VIA Chrome9 HC IGP, and when update windows turn driver to basic display adapter, no update.

tonopah06
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 28 (7,057 Views)

Same problem here. I bought a "Guaranteed to work with Skype" webcam. A Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000. Bought it from the "Skpye Store". But before I purchased it I double checked it on Microsoft compatability center. Hmm... it stated "Windows 8 Compatable". Also if I remember correctly, 13 out of 17 reviews stated it worked great!

I had been running XP Pro since it first arrived on the seen back in 2002. Then like a fool I decided to upgrade to Windows 8. Upgraded my RAM too. Here's my specs for all those who would reply to this and want to help.

Dell Inspiron 530

Windows 8 Pro Build 6.2.9200

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20 GHZ

3.50 GB RAM

ATI RV370 256MB running DirectX 11

USB 2.0

I have audio on the webcam but a black video screen. Also I can take a profile picture and it looks fine. I have tried 3 USB ports like Skype suggest. Windows is fully updated. Webcam drivers all installed with no conflicts. System info states no device conflicts. Help!!!

WesleyU
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 28 (6,952 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the info.
Can you please check whether your webcam works properly in the Windows 8 Camera App?
And which exact version of Skype are you using.

Thank you

kerojarun
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 134
Message 10 of 28 (6,940 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling