Questions on Skype for Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Questions on Skype for Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Getting Skype for Windows 8 and making it work  is the most frustrating exercise I think I've ever seen from Microsoft and that's really saying something!

1) How do I get my contact list from my old  Skype pogram  I had for Windows Vista?

2)- How do do I check why Skype for Windows 8 cannot check why my camera does not appear to be working with the program,'

3)- When I log in I get a page which has 4 headings- learn,prices, downloads and support.

Where's Tools etc so that I can check why the camera is not working?

When I use support and try to change the Settings from the Charms page it does not show Options but a number of other headings.

Can I go back to my old Skype program after I have deleted/uninstalled Skype for Windows 8 and how?

Eric

stretlaw1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 23 (7,067 Views)

Re: Skype for Windows 8

how to i transfer files using skype on windows 8.

why is it so hard to add people to a call.

why does windows 8 suck?

why cant skype be on my task bar?

why it hard to find a friend to call them you must scroll 1000 pages to find someone.

why cant you group contacts anymore?

why cant you leave skype alone and why cant i have the old one back?

gregtampa
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 23 (6,945 Views)

I can't seem to get skype to work on Win 8. It was fine and easy on Win 7.

Requested to download it and found no download screens - just useless information.

Logged in withmy  account info and more useless info about purchasing credit. No obvious way to use skype at all.

jbbalog
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 23 (6,931 Views)

You need to download Skype from the Windows 8 Store. See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/explore-windows-store#1TC=t1

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11813
Message 4 of 23 (6,928 Views)

what about our first to posts (questions) since we started the topic.. think you can focus and awnser those first before telling some noob how to install skype..

gregtampa
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (6,915 Views)

Hi I've set up skype for my dad on a laptop with windows 8.  

1. The app doesn't let me get into any settings. I've read that if you move your cursor to bottom right hand corner the 'charms' appear, but there are none!
  2. Also the reason why I'm asking the question is because windows 8 keeps you permently signed into the app but when my dad tries to sign into the website it says his password is incorrect so requested password reset and all the tokens sent do not work, feel like I'm going crazy and around in circles. Please point me in the right direction.  Any help appreciated thanks.

suesandchris
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 23 (6,905 Views)

1) How do I get my contact list from my old  Skype pogram  I had for Windows Vista?

All the contacts you stored with Skype should be visible with the Windows 8 application. It might have been that the Skype for Windows Desktop also was reporting the contacts you had in Outlook (people with only phone numbers but not a Skype account)

2)- How do do I check why Skype for Windows 8 cannot check why my camera does not appear to be working with the program,'

- Show the 'Windows Charm' (either by pressing the Win+C key combination or by swiping your finger from right to left on the left side on your tablet).

- Select Settings > Options and you will then see the Audio and Video options that will let you pick your camera, etc. If the camera does not show there, it probably means that the driver for your camera was not installed.

3) Can I go back to my old Skype program after I have deleted/uninstalled Skype for Windows 8 and how?

You can always download the Desktop version from the Skype web site:

http://beta.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/downloading/

ffrachon
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 23 (6,806 Views)

All I can say Eric is that I 100% agree with you. Windows * & Skype just don't work. Followed a "cure" to remove an unwanted contact 'select the contact then use the keyboard Backspace Key to remove" = Didn't work. But then why should it. Nothing darn well works.

My combined web cam / mic has sound (skype audio test worked) but I have no video. A friend of mine has a top quality LogiTek cam / mic and the audio was dreadful. Either bring back Skype in XP format or Neuk it !!  The W8 apps are bloody rediculous anyway - Hate 'em.. I'm serious considering taking my brand new desktop back to the store and asking for XP or even W7 to be loaded instead..

I'm at a lost why the latest ratings screen shows such excellent feedback when the earlier ratings are all shocking.. I do have the latest version (only installed it 1 week ago).

Kevan_and_Ruth
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 23 (6,584 Views)

yea the new skype/microsoft thingy is pretty crap.....i found this page from a friend who helped me with the same problem.... here's a link.. http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/
hope this helps (the download button for the desktop is at the bottom of the page)......oh and for the record i downloaded the desktop version before i uninstalled the app
QPatience
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 23 (5,660 Views)
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11813
Message 10 of 23 (5,650 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling