My Skype profile picture is too blurry!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: My Skype profile picture is too blurry!

I have a feeling, that if you're viewing your own Skype account through someone else's account, and you're not online, your image will come up blurry. However, if you're online, WHILE looking at your own account through someone else's, your image will be clear. Something Skype should look at fixing in the future.
Posted from Amazon D01400
AdamAkennedy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 11 of 66 (15,888 Views)

I tried your picture and it is the same also i tried with much more smaller pics and also did some tweaks on photoshop and still blurry it seems something to do with skype as i have also like you a 1080p screen and the image even the smaller one looks very blurry on the profile compared with the original pic, i also changed the picture format as u did but i got the same result, i see my picture in someone else account and in skype for windows 8 the called metro version is very blurry, not pixelated, but in the desktop skype it looks the same as the original picture so as u said can be something to do with the metro version

Bramd
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 66 (15,875 Views)

That is interesting... the only thought that comes to mind for me is that perhaps the desktop version of Skype uses a different method of compression for displaying the pictures. The fact that when I set a picture in the desktop version it is more blurry than when I set it in the modern version kind of supports that theory. Unfortunately if that is the case, I'm not sure that there is a fix for it, other than everyone to using the modern version of Skype, and if that's the only fix, it's not a good one, as the modern version of Skype is absolutely horrible aside from aesthetics. sorry my image did not work for you, and I hope you find a fix!
Posted from Toshiba AT200
samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 423
Message 13 of 66 (15,865 Views)

I did a test with my two computers. I went onto my old skype account, on my laptop, and I was on my new skype on my desktop. When both accounts were online, both pictures were clear. But when I went OFFLINE on my new skype, the image went blurry for my old skype viewing it.

So it seems to me, if I'm online, my image will appear clear and crisp to my contact. But if I'm offline, my image will appear blurry to my contacts. That's the only correlation I've been able to find.

As I said, either way. It shouldn't been doing that. I think it's something skype should look at fixing, it's not very professional when my skype is used for business.
Posted from Amazon D01400
AdamAkennedy
Novel Adventurer
Message 14 of 66 (15,836 Views)

Microsoft is slowly killing our favourite applicaion.... It's been downhill with every update.

Uploading a profile image and expecting it to compress and resize properly isn't too much to ask for from an application that has been out there for so long. 

denmarkhill
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 15 of 66 (15,446 Views)

same here, I've tried several formats/sizes/zooming while uploading, and it always turns out blurry :sad:

admx
Novel Tourist
Message 16 of 66 (15,418 Views)

With Windows 8, Don't use Skype DESKTOP app to upload image. Use skype live tile app to upload image. Just click little own picture and the click own profile big blurry own picture and choose new picture size 480 x 480. Then skype internet profile picture and skype windows 8 app picture is sharp. Also windows phone app profile picture sharpened this way.

Windows 7 user is no can do. Loan some friend windows 8 machine .

Sorry my bad english :happy:

MaaQ
Novel Adventurer
Message 17 of 66 (15,198 Views)

i notice, this way (upload windows 8 live tile app, newest version), sharpened skype profile picture ALL skype services. Also desktop app picture every machine/phone/tablet etc. you use.

MaaQ
Novel Adventurer
Message 18 of 66 (15,193 Views)

On Windows 7,

exit skype,

download and start Skype 5.0 portable,

change your picture,

exit skype 5,

start your normal skype.

Typhox
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 19 of 66 (15,016 Views)

[ Edited ]

Honestly, Windows 7 users should not have to do that for a simple profile picture. Common!

I never had this problem before the newer upgrades. How is it that a big successful program such as Skype can't seem to be able to provide a properly working picture compressor? I never had this issue on Windows Live Messenger.

Also, I've tried every size, square, shape and format - nothing will work. It is ALWAYS blurry. It's really frustrating! 

MelMel
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 20 of 66 (14,026 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling