How to link Microsoft Account w/ Skype Account?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to link Microsoft Account w/ Skype Account?

Hello,

Please tell me how to do this. I've searched the Support Network and FAQs but cannot find a solution.

I have just installed the lastest Skype Desktop 6.0 for Windows. According to the FAQ, the Skype setup launches and then I am asked to choose a login. I chose my Microsoft Account. It is then suppose to prompt me to sign in with my Skype account to merge. I do not get this window instead I am signed directly into my Microsoft Account. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and at no point it's asking me to merge the accounts.

How and where can I manually merge the accounts?

I'm on Windows 8 Enterprise x64. I have also uninstalled the Skype app that was downloaded from the Windows Store.

Thanks

wildlyirrationa
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Finally was able to resolve this by emailing Skype Support. Though it took about 5 emails back and forth before they were able to provide a solution.

In the end, the issue is that if you log into Skype using the Windows 8 app, you are forced to log in with your Microsoft Account automatically (SSO) - as I have stated in my previous post. Once signed in Skype reserve your Skype Name as "live:XXXX" and you cannot unlink this. You will need to contact Skpye to have them unlink your Microsoft Account. It needs to be done in the backend.

Once you it is unlink it is very important that you download the Skype client and merge your accounts from there. You need to install the latest Skype for Windows DESKTOP not the Windows 8 client. Otherwise, you will be going around in circles. When you start the install Skype service runs a scan to see if you have an existing Skype account. It'll then ask you to choose "I already have a Skype account". Sign-in with your Skype account (not Microsoft account) then you'll be prompted to MERGE.

That is all. Hope this is helpful. - Cheers

View solution in original post
wildlyirrationa
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 1 of 29 (57,672 Views)

Re: How to link Microsoft Account w/ Skype Account?

Even I have the same problem. The worst part is windows 8 skype app doesn't even gives you an option to login with skype name. 

sridharnemana
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 2 of 29 (57,624 Views)

That's correct. W8 app uses single sign-on using your Windows account. There's a sign-out option but it doesn't really sign you out so that you can sign in with another account. The only way to sign in to another account is to go to Settings - Change PC settings and sign in locally or a different account. Not really ideal for users who have multiple accounts, leaving them with no choices. Maybe this will be improved in an app update.

Sridharnemana - let me know if you find a solution to merge the accounts. I'll give Skype support a call and give an update to this post.
wildlyirrationa
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 29 (57,591 Views)

Any update to this? I'm stuck in the same boat, and it's starting to really peeve me off...
Atratus4551
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 29 (57,503 Views)

Finally was able to resolve this by emailing Skype Support. Though it took about 5 emails back and forth before they were able to provide a solution.

In the end, the issue is that if you log into Skype using the Windows 8 app, you are forced to log in with your Microsoft Account automatically (SSO) - as I have stated in my previous post. Once signed in Skype reserve your Skype Name as "live:XXXX" and you cannot unlink this. You will need to contact Skpye to have them unlink your Microsoft Account. It needs to be done in the backend.

Once you it is unlink it is very important that you download the Skype client and merge your accounts from there. You need to install the latest Skype for Windows DESKTOP not the Windows 8 client. Otherwise, you will be going around in circles. When you start the install Skype service runs a scan to see if you have an existing Skype account. It'll then ask you to choose "I already have a Skype account". Sign-in with your Skype account (not Microsoft account) then you'll be prompted to MERGE.

That is all. Hope this is helpful. - Cheers

wildlyirrationa
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 29 (57,235 Views)

Might be helpful if you post a link to HOW to contact the skype support people.  They don't make it easy to find.

jrichview
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 6 of 29 (56,314 Views)

Check out: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1170/how-can-i-contact-skype-customer-service. Click on "Support Request page" link. From there you would fill out the web-form and receive a confirmation via email shortly after.

wildlyirrationa
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 29 (56,297 Views)

i can't find the solution for my problem

zg2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 29 (47,031 Views)

What is this? Are you crazy? I do not want to link my account to anything - and you tell me in the Win8 app that I cannot use one of my several Skype account without having to link my Win8 account (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Skype account I wanted to use just now)?
I don't HAVE to do anything! If this is the way you treat your users, by giving them regulations, telling them what they have to do, then you will get your self a bloody nose pretty fast!
This is totally stupid!

Oh, and btw, of course I found out instantly, that I can unlink my account once I had linked them (why do I have to link them in the first place, that is not OK). But then of course I get thrown out of Skype and on re-login, I have to link again.
LOL!

rakeem84
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 9 of 29 (46,320 Views)

Hah, I have the same problem. My account settings says "no microsoft account linked", I click "learn more", a message tells me to check support, and there's just NO INFORMATION THERE. Just an item on how to unlink. Bah
TorHaugen
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 10 of 29 (39,095 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling