How to delete a chat message

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to delete a chat message

Is it possible to delet a chat message sended with Skype for Windows 8 and Desktop? How to do?

Claudius
Community Manager

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Hallo :happy:

Currently you can only remove a sent message when using Skype for Windows Desktop. Take a look here for more details on editing and removing messages: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3271/sending-instant-messages-windows-desktop

The feature is not available on Skype for Windows 8 yet though.

View solution in original post
Licht
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 24 (151,635 Views)

Re: How to delete a chat message

Hallo :happy:

Currently you can only remove a sent message when using Skype for Windows Desktop. Take a look here for more details on editing and removing messages: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3271/sending-instant-messages-windows-desktop

The feature is not available on Skype for Windows 8 yet though.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12980
Message 2 of 24 (151,633 Views)

Thank you, this works. Grüße aus Österreich!
Licht
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 24 (151,625 Views)

There IS a way which I use to delete messages I don't want any more, but it needs a bit of patience and a good text editor such as (free) NoteTab or the even better NoteTab Pro.

In my XP system and probably in a similar place in Vista and later Windows versions, the messages are stored under the following. Note that my XP is the Swiss German version, so you'll need to work out which main folder I mean.

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\[your PC name]\Anwendungsdaten\Skype\[your name]\chatsync

so something like C:\Documents and Settings\your pc user name\... User date (?) then go from there.

You will see a whole bunch of files named 00, 0a, 0b, 0c, 0d etc. and these contain one or more "dat" files (e.g. 1b930d890f8a9f78.dat) which contain information plus the actual text in plain text. So you can check on the dates, drag and drop them to your text editor, look through them, keep any info you want to a different file, then delete the dat file. It does no harm by what I can see. My Skype still works perfectly. It might be wise to keep say, one from each of your active IM chat contacts just to avoid his or her name from being totally deleted.

Maybe someone can find a similar folder on Vista, Win7 and Win8 and post the location here.

Helvetica1
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 24 (151,481 Views)

That is true but sometimes you only need to delete SOME messages from or to a contact, not all of them.

In NoteTab Pro, I use CTRL D on that folder to search for messages using a particular contact name or keyword to find the .dat file.

Helvetica1
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 24 (147,332 Views)

Is this a program to download,and run from your own PC or is it online and run on the seller's server ? That would be a bit dodgy because he may be reading everyone's chat messages.

Helvetica1
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 24 (146,457 Views)

This is a SUPERB item. It is not an app as such, but a little program which works fine on my Windows XP. You download it to your harddisk after paying for it using money from your google wallet, fire it up and enter your username. I then automatically finds your list of contacts in "main.db". Actually (probably because I have the Swiss-German version of XP) I had to correct the place where main.db could be found but that is no problem to do. Then you click on the down arrow in the next field to find the name of the contact of whom you want to delete IMs. Mark the messages you want to delete using click (CTRL click for multiple messages) then click on "Delete marked messages" at the bottom of the screen - done ! The only other thing I had to do - which most people won't need to do - is to change my screen resolution from my normal very low resolution to a higher resolution, otherwise I couldn't see the delete button at the bottom of the field. It's really good and with the current price of just under £1 it's a bargain second to none.
Helvetica1
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 24 (146,431 Views)

2013 ONLY ON A PC? Microsoft are the worst comany ever, give back skype to smart people please!!!!!

HataMicrosoft
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 24 (126,652 Views)

@HataMicrosoft I do not see the relevance of your posting to this thread. Your posting has nothing to do with deleting messages. Please post in the correct forum area in future.

Helvetica1
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 24 (126,558 Views)

Well I wanted to show you how terrible it is when a person, Microsoft forbid, want to delete a quote or a comment but cannot. I'm not asking alot here,YOU USE TO be able to delete, but now only PC without Windows 8 CAN DELETE A MESSAGE. I love skype and was one of the very first users so I beg you, please leave skype alone so it works.

HataMicrosoft
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 24 (126,526 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling