Re: VIDEO CALLING

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Hi  thanks it would be really good if you could help with this.

When I activate Firefox on desktop the page opens and is different. Along the top bar of page is:

Firefox....then a Bing box....then google. The little Green things !!! whirrr around simultaneously on both. You can select the google box and it then goes into google, but otherwise Bing is predominant. At the bottom of the page it reads waiting for Bing...and the wait is sometimes quite long as maybe the two things are competing with each other ?  There doesn´t appear to be any MSN and I am quite happy with Google.

Also in case this has any bearing on the matter /although is possibly another issue...when I originally tried to configure Skype I inadvertantly clicked onto the Microsoft Account version which then  meant that when I clicked the Skype Tile the Microsoft sign in  box came up (as it does actually on one or two other things on the tile display) I tried to login in and it rejected it, saying the account nno longer existed....I didn´t at the time understand the mechanics of all these things, with cloud etc. and decided that I would go down the old route of logging into the few things that I use. However the Microsoft login remains on these things and also when I for example try to unsubscribe from unwanted mails it takes me to the same Microsoft Account Box which is unuseable.  

Also !!! it has only recently dawned on me that I have a separate Hotmail account which when I go into it links to a microsoft account, which I don´t have to log into, am not worried about this but as you can see it is all a bit of a `pigs breakfast´.

Does any of this make any sense ?  Hope so.

topshamgirl
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 161
Message 11 of 57 (2,330 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sounds like there are a lot of things causing problems.  Let's try to take care of all of them.  First, here is a link that explains how to change the default search engine in Firefox.  If you have any trouble doing it I can provide more details, but I figured they'd be better at explaining it than I would.  Just let me know how that goes, and if you need a hand.  Also, it may be helpful to note that once you have your default search engine selected you can do a search directly from the box that you would normally enter a web address in - in other words, you don't need to use those other boxes.  So, for example, if instead of www.skype.com, you type only Skype, it will do a Google search for Skype.

As far as using a Microsoft account to log in, if you are using the desktop version of Skype there is no need to do that.  If you would like to anyway, go here for further instructions.  If you are using the version of Skype that was downloaded through the Windows Store then you are required to link your Microsoft and Skype accounts (unless you don't log on to Windows with a Microsoft ID).  I would strongly advise against using the Windows Store version for this reason and for the fact that (in my opinion) it is far less intuitive, not as easy to use, and very limiting in terms of options.  If you have already linked a Microsoft account to a Skype account and you think that you used the wrong accounts, see this page for instructions on how to unlink them.  One important thing to keep in mind is that in order for the Windows Store version of Skype to sign in once your account has been linked you will need to be signed on to Windows with the same Microsoft account.  Again, this is not applicable if your accounts are not linked and if you do not sign into Windows using a Microsoft account.

Lastly, if you would like to consolidate all of your Microsoft accounts into one, there are ways to do it, though some are more complicated than others.  If you tell me how you use each account I may be able to provide a suggestion on the most effective way to do it.  For example, if you use one account for email and another account for everything else, you can simply route all your email through the second account and (for the most part) stop using the first one.  Let me know if you need any more info or help.

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 163
Message 12 of 57 (2,320 Views)

samwnimmo wrote:

Sounds like there are a lot of things causing problems.  Let's try to take care of all of them.  First, here is a link that explains how to change the default search engine in Firefox.  If you have any trouble doing it I can provide more details, but I figured they'd be better at explaining it than I would.  Just let me know how that goes, and if you need a hand.  Also, it may be helpful to note that once you have your default search engine selected you can do a search directly from the box that you would normally enter a web address in - in other words, you don't need to use those other boxes.  So, for example, if instead of www.skype.com, you type only Skype, it will do a Google search for Skype.

As far as using a Microsoft account to log in, if you are using the desktop version of Skype there is no need to do that.  If you would like to anyway, go here for further instructions.  If you are using the version of Skype that was downloaded through the Windows Store then you are required to link your Microsoft and Skype accounts (unless you don't log on to Windows with a Microsoft ID).  I would strongly advise against using the Windows Store version for this reason and for the fact that (in my opinion) it is far less intuitive, not as easy to use, and very limiting in terms of options.  If you have already linked a Microsoft account to a Skype account and you think that you used the wrong accounts, see this page for instructions on how to unlink them.  One important thing to keep in mind is that in order for the Windows Store version of Skype to sign in once your account has been linked you will need to be signed on to Windows with the same Microsoft account.  Again, this is not applicable if your accounts are not linked and if you do not sign into Windows using a Microsoft account.

Lastly, if you would like to consolidate all of your Microsoft accounts into one, there are ways to do it, though some are more complicated than others.  If you tell me how you use each account I may be able to provide a suggestion on the most effective way to do it.  For example, if you use one account for email and another account for everything else, you can simply route all your email through the second account and (for the most part) stop using the first one.  Let me know if you need any more info or help.

Thank you so much for all this. I will work through all your suggestions as it is vitally important to get this sorted but it may not be for a little while I have a crisis on my hands which is going to delay me. I do not know how the system works  on Skype Community but I do hope that this will be ok.

topshamgirl
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 161
Message 13 of 57 (2,285 Views)

No problem, I hope you get your situation taken care of.  Let me know if/when you need further assistance as I should receive an email telling me about your post.  In the event that I don't respond you can try sending me a private message as I don't always get email notifications (though I usually do).  Good luck!

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 163
Message 14 of 57 (2,248 Views)

Man nerada video kad es runaju ar cilveku:sad:

danusik16
Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 15 of 57 (2,152 Views)

:sad:DeborahI'M HAVING EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM SO I TRIED TO SET UP A NEW ACCOUNTAS MY ATTEMPTS TO CHANGE A PASSWORD N MY FIRST ACCOUNT PROVED FRUITLESS

SKYPE MAKE IT VERY HARD TO SOLVE PROBLEMS CONSIDERING SETTLING FOR THE FSCEBOOK VIDEO OPTION

OOPS ACCIDENTALLY HIT CAPSLOCK SORRY:bigsmile:

captaincrip
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 16 of 57 (2,071 Views)

How come my premium package did not come with face to face video call to Italy? My friend in Italy can not see me but I can see him.
Posted from HTC myTouch 4G Slide
nkechi
Novel Adventurer
Message 17 of 57 (1,994 Views)

hi
Raja come in Skype to attend video call with me.
Thank you
Posted from Mozilla Firefox for Android
Abhayankar
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 18 of 57 (1,960 Views)

Hello
TopSamgirl
Please come on videocalling with me. I am presently using Xperia P.
Posted from Mozilla Firefox for Android
Abhayankar
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 19 of 57 (1,960 Views)

topshamgirl wrote:

On a new computer Windows 8.1  can sign into my Skype for Desktop Account using skype name and password. Also have same email address as before.  Account page comes up but dont know how to activate Skype so I can video call.  Tried to instal Skype & got as far as Save Skype to File box, clicked on this, then was expecting to see Run Installer but nothing happened. Was previously using Windows XP. Have the original Skype download filed. Plus several more where I have been attempting to resolve this problem. Am all ´skyped up´ but cannot use it !!

Absolutely desperate have been trying to remedy this for ages. can anyone help please. Thanks Deborah

katrinaviolin18
Casual Tourist
Message 20 of 57 (1,096 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling