How to NOT merge accounts?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

How to NOT merge accounts?

Every time I log into the Skype app it keeps asking me for a Microsoft account and trying to merge my Skype and MS accounts...is there any way I can use the Skype app WITHOUT merging with any Microsoft account?

carletonmadman
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 11 (7,585 Views)

Re: How to NOT merge accounts?

I also do NOT want to merge. I did it the first time but contacted support to unmerge me because there is a big with Windows messenger. Friends you message will continue to receive last conversations multiple times which is annoying for them and also annoying to me that I'm spamming mu friends.

If they do not allow Skype without merging accounts, I think it is a big mistake. other platforms do not require this (android,ios) so why should we?

My windows phone doesn't require merging, and I sure as hell hope that wont change on wp8
Robbieb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 11 (7,569 Views)

It's so **bleep** stupid that you have to merge your account with windows 8. I run Windows 8 at work now and also I from yesterday I run it from home. I have one Microsoft account for work and a seperate for home. So what happens? I merged the Skype account with the work account so I can't use it on Windows 8 at home. IT'S SO **bleep** STUPID.

ErikLysen
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 11 (7,565 Views)

I have merged my skype id with a microsoft account for testing purpose but now I want to associate it with my actual primary microsoft account but do not know how to disassociate. Any help will be appreciated.

haroonattari
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 11 (7,550 Views)

email support, they will unmerge your account.

Robbieb
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (7,518 Views)

THIS is so DUMB.  I setup windows 8 on the Media machine in my house for testing purposes.  Not know what i was doing i downloaded the skype app (which is horrible btw) and logged in using my regular skype account.  Now my skype is merged with my family's TV PC.  (i assume i chose to merge).  I deleted the skype app and just decided to use the desktop app. However my skype contacts are now locked into my TV Media center account and the only way to fix this to send an email into the "ether" and hope someone at Microsoft / Skype will unmerge it??  Its a good thing i don't have any private contacts *sarcasm* 

I know that sounded convoluted but bottom line is Microsoft is or used to be about choice.  If i wanted them to tell me how to use my information i would have just gotten an I-Device... smh disappointed.

sunz
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 11 (7,260 Views)

Is there and answer to this?

I do not want to use my microsoft account to log on to skype on my win 8 computer

swingle
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (6,411 Views)

swingle,

Modern Skype supports only login with the Microsoft Account.

If you do not want to merge accounts then you can install Skype desktop client and sign into Skype with your Skype details.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 8201
Message 8 of 11 (6,409 Views)

Go into the skype app, and click your name on the right side. A menu will pop up, and click on account. Once the webpage loads, click on account settings. There should be a button that allows you to disconnect your ms account from your skype account.
d0min8r3
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (5,030 Views)

If you have Windows 8, the default Skype installed is 'Skype for Windows 8' which requires you to have a Microsoft account to sign in. 

So going to http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/ lets you download Skype for Windows Desktop which is the GOOD OLD SKYPE people are accustomed to. 

Basically 'Skype fo Windows 8' and 'Skype for Windows Desktop' are two different entities and you would want to use the latter. So download the good old version from the website, have it on your desktop and use it. :(y):

lordssj
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (5,014 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling