How do I change my profile photo, windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I change my profile photo, windows 8

I am using windows 8 & cannot change my profile picture, any ideas?

Also I have no way to search for new skype users?

I guess from what I have read here I need a task bar which I do not Have?

Icefox
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 9 (12,242 Views)

Re: How do I change my profile photo, windows 8

In the initial screen of Skype for Windows 8 (the one listing recent conversations, favourites, contacts, etc.) a thumbnail of your current picture, with your subnick and a coloured dot indicating your current online status should appear. Look for it at the top right of the Skype screen, it's there even if you dock Skype to a side of the desktop. If you click that, a side panel appears with your account information, a textbox to change your subnick, etc. Clicking on your current picture (above the subnick textbox) will open a file selector to replace it with a new one.

If you are not at the initial Skype screen, right click and two bars will appear; the top bar will have a Skype icon that should take you to the initial screen.

Habbit
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 2 of 9 (12,236 Views)

Click on your current image and you will see where your current image's location (which path on your computer).  There is a 'down' arrow "ν" on the right of "Files".  Click on the arrow and you'll see a list of paths on your computer.  Then you may look for any images on your computer to replace your current one.  It took me a while to figure out.  I don't like SKYPE on Window 8 at all.  There are only "online" and "invisible" for status.  No other options.

KittySun
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 9 (10,832 Views)

I just installed the Skype Desktop and regained all of my capabilities.  apparently I was trying the use the pre-installed version on 8.1.  The self-installed  desktop version works much better. 

jjames7118
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (7,103 Views)

Skype on Windows 8 is a huge disappointment, I mean HUGE! I don't know where to start....basically you have little or no control over anything!!!  Let's see...an AGILE development methodology with a lot of offshore resources where no one is held accountable for anything and at the bottom of the priority list is customer satisfaction....SOUND ABOUT RIGHT!

walkersj09a
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 9 (6,338 Views)

Have you tried to install the normal desktop version? The currently latest Skype 6.14.0.104 desktop version can be installed using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.14.0.104.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6904
Message 6 of 9 (6,333 Views)

I got so frustrated trying this that I eventually resorted to changing my photo on my i-phone - it worked perfectly - you click on the photo in your profile and can choose a save photo to replace it.

If you have another smartphone other than i-phone I would suggest trying the same thing if you have skype installed as an app - windows 8 is a pain.

ralf_b
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 9 (4,701 Views)

Thank you, your step by step was sooooo easy. :happy:

BettyAudish
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (3,595 Views)

In windows 8.1 is real easy just go to your top right coner and click on the little cecle than a window shoud come over from the right click on the pictur on top and chuse a pictur from you PC thaks =]

ghost_of_cavema
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (657 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling