How do I change a Microsoft Account connected to m...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I change a Microsoft Account connected to my Skype account?

How can I change the Microsoft Account currently connected to my Skype account?

Currently I cannot use Skype on my Microsoft Surface!

On Windows 8 RT I am forced to use the App Store Skype app which will not let me login using my Skype Account, but forces me to a Microsoft Account. However my Skype account is connected to a test Microsoft Account that Skype provides no means for me to change. Skype is also oddly absent from the attached programs management page on the Microsoft Account management site as well. So much for privacy controls.

Your support people are ill-trained to deal with this, otherwise they would not suggest I revert to the Skype app on the desktop, which of course I cannot because it is Windows 8 RT.

This is proving to be a poorly thought through action, rushed out, and now you are in damage limitation mode and not performing well.

Suggestion - Update the app ASAP to allow users to login using their standard Skype account whilst you sort out the mess with the Microsoft Accounts

Windows 8 RT + Microsoft Account + Skype = A Tsunami of support headaches in the making!

http://blog.nigelgibbons.com/2012/10/31/windows-8-microsoft-account-skype-a-tsunami-of-support-in-th... 

nrgibbons
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 27
Message 1 of 12 (22,434 Views)

Re: How do I change a Microsoft Account connected to my Skype account?

Having same problem. Somewhere I read a suggestion to uninstall the Windows 8 version and install the Windows 7 version. Did anyone here try it? What does Skype thing about it?

AndreasK
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 12 (22,268 Views)

Uninstalling the Windows 8 Modern UI version and installing the original desktop Skype App version works fine IF you are running full Windows 8 Operating System. You will need to use an earlier version of Windows to download the app from the Skype website as it tries to be clever and detects you are running Windows 8 and points you to the Windows App store instead with no traditional download option. If you have a problem getting a copy let me know I will set-up a link for you to get the latest Windows 7 version which runs just fine on Windows 8 desktop.

BEWARE though if you are running Windows 8 RT ie: on the Microsoft Surface you do not have the desktop version option as the Windows 8 RT Operating System does not support traditional x86 applications as it uses the ARM architecture. I guess Skype will never write a desktop app for this chip set since they think the Windows 8 Modern UI version is good enough.

I sum this up on my blog on the subject ‘Windows 8, Microsoft Account & Skype – A Tsunami of support in the making!’ http://blog.nigelgibbons.com/2012/10/31/windows-8-microsoft-account-skype-a-tsunami-of-support-in-th... .

nrgibbons
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (22,235 Views)

...and Skype keeps quiet - no answers. I used a account which was shared by another friend as we shared the skype account. Now that he has his own account , i want to connect to a different Microsoft account. The MS accoutn we used belongs to him and he does not want to change it. My Skype account has some money in it and i do not want to give to him. We do not speak face to face.

Jsureszh
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 12 (20,525 Views)

You will need to initiate an online support call through Skype Support. It is an online chat session, they should follow this up with an email for you to confirm your support request and then the matter will be resolved within about 48 hours.

I had to repeat the exercise twice before I got the email from them, but it did work in the end and I was able to get my Skype Account disconnected from the undesired Microsoft Account.

Best of luck.

nrgibbons
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (20,472 Views)

I resent having to create a new account. I shall rapidly be transfering to Linux. I have never liked Microsoft or their approach to cornering users. I hope others do likewise

jiha007
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 12 (15,199 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello

I know this is old but you can login at skype.com, go to Account settings and unlink your Microsoft account. Then you can join skype account with a new Microsoft account

:happy:

Cheers

PapiMigas
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 12 (6,819 Views)

Thanks PapiMigas! you solved the problem. We need to get back to skype homepage then account settings. There is a link to unlinking the skype account from your microsoft account. Thus, you can sign in as different user to to your microsoft account.

1ves
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 12 (6,236 Views)

AbooshHD
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (5,358 Views)

AbooshHD
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (5,358 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling