Figured out how to adjust volume... kind of...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Figured out how to adjust volume... kind of...

[ Edited ]

This is not really a solution, just a horrible work around.  Obviously adjusting the main volume of your computer is not the same thing as adjusting just the Skype volume, as adjusting only Skype would allow you to make it softer so that you can hear other applications.  However, if you get the other person on the call to adjust their microphone, you can leave the rest of your applications at the same volume level.  This is usually practical, because although many applications produce sound, in most cases you will not have multiple applications attempting to detect sound.  So if each person adjusts their microphone to the other party's needs, an appropriate volume can likely be found for everyone without interfering with the volumes of other apps.

The problem is that there is no microphone volume option in Skype either.  But, if you right click the sound icon in your taskbar, select recording devices, choose the device in question, select properties, and go to the levels tab, you can adjust the volume of the microphone.

Obviously, a MUCH better option would just be to avoid Skype altogether, as Microsoft has pretty much murdered it.  You should not have to make the other party jump through hoops to adjust your own volume when something as simple as a volume slider could be easily incorporated, but Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, tends to disagree.  So if for some reason you are unable to avoid using this wretched program, at least you can get around some of the pointless limitations Microsoft has added to it.  Hope this is helpful.

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer

Accepted Solution

I now have a better solution for the technologically inclined.  See my post that starts with "Finally".

View solution in original post
samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 292
Message 1 of 4 (2,328 Views)

Re: Figured out how to adjust volume... kind of...

I now have a better solution for the technologically inclined.  See my post that starts with "Finally".

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Message 2 of 4 (2,297 Views)

You are right in what you've said. I am at this point looking into better alternatives to skype. I'm really just hoping skype does an update soon and brings back the Volume controls. The new version is not customizable at all. It's incredibly frustrating. I miss all the settings. Please Skype programers, if you can hear me now, fix this. At the very least give us back the volume button!

palomae360
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 4 (720 Views)

I am amazed that the "modern" Skype STILL doesn't have volume controls after more than a year.  It is ridiculous to think that an app in which audio is one of the most significant features is unable to adjust the volume of said audio.  It's almost as if Microsoft is discouraging multitasking.  How can you have a computing platform without multitasking?

samwnimmo
Esteemed Adventurer
Message 4 of 4 (587 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling